Mazzer Omega hand grinder - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by buckersss »

Thanks very much.

What pushed you towards the omega out of curiousity?

Would you mind clarifying how far are you from zero when you are grinding for espresso?

The etz-I seems to have smaller steps - I believe 20 microns per step. When I see videos it looks like people are grinding about 8 steps/clicks away from zero on the etz-I. I thought if easy for you to say, I'd get a comparison.

The handle on the Mazzer does look nice. Looks better than that on the etz for sure.

Kinu is tried and tested that is certainly important.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by StoicDude »

Hi,
I figured I'll chime in. I've had the Omega since about October. I have the fast version. I've been very happy with the grinder.

To answer some of the questions that were asked in here, I usually grind for espresso between 4,2 and 5,2.

Most coffees for me fall in the 5, 5,1 and 4,5 range.

I pulled 3 shots today with an espresso blend from G&M roasters to get some numbers.

I use an IMS 18-20 basket. 93° Celsius, WDT for prep.

Setting at 5. 20g in, 30g out at 28.
Setting 5, 1. 20g in, 41g out at 28. (Best taste for me here)
Setting 5,2. 20g in, 73g out at 28. Huge jump from 5,1 to 5,2. Ill see if it happens again tomorrow.

For Aeropress I usually grind at 9. For French Press im at 11.

As for taste, the shots are very good. I would have to really do a side by side with the Super Jolly with SSP cast burrs and the Eureka Specialita.

I'm always happy with the results and have not tried tinkering too much to get different results.

I can try some shots at 18g and 19g tomorrow and see how they differ and compare.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by StoicDude »

Here are some pictures from the different grind settings.

Anything below 3 is almost impossible to get. I will try to see what the lowest setting is that I can grind at, but even 2 was a complete miss for me.

I put in 2g in and tried to grind and got dust and it would just spin in place. I'll see if maybe putting in 10g would work so the beans push from the top.

I have close ups if anybody needs those, but I dont want to bombard the thread. Kruve sieve or refractometer would certainly be much better at telling the particle distribution.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by StoicDude »

Here are some more detailed pictures of the burrs for people that are interested.

The last picture is of the coffee ground at 2,2. I think that is the lowest I could actually get a result from.

It required me to grind super slow in order to catch the beans to be ground. Lower than that, I was spinning free and not getting much.

tomi740i

#45: Post by tomi740i »

Hey Coffee Lovers,

I bought a Mazzer Omega, 2 months ago. I couldn't resist for it's beutiful craftmanship and famous branding.
Here are my consequences after multiple use:
- burrs are far the best quality I've ever seen in a hand (or any conical) grinder
- ground tank is also perferct in size, the way of removal and for inner surface too
- handling is also perfect both the torso and turning handle

But

- the mechanical construction is poor:
- inner axle-holders are made of alloy, which is too soft to keep the axis fix and rigid
- cartridges are also flexible since they have a pressure horizontal pressure point on them and they are cheaper quality
- positioning small metal latches are a nonsense because of less rigidity and they will disappear for sure if you clean your machine regularly.
- position spring is also too weak comparing my Kinu M47 Classic
- turning handle comes off easily comparing to Kinu and you easly can scratch the main, polished body of the grinder
- contact points are also too loose on the handle's both side: sometimes you loose only the knob, sometimes the whole turning handle comes off. Anyway: Carbon would be a fine solution to give it a little springness if some beans "cracks" in.
- side touching magnets came out from their place without any outer force, so now if I put the handle on the side it falls down and only the two neodium magnet stays on the grinder's body which ones are near impossible to remove from the metal chasis
- popping effect is also a sad thing especially for thoose who give more attention on accurate dosing or wasting less coffee, keeping your workplace clean. Kinu has the same problem, but you can order a silicone cap for pennies
- big steps are also an issue, but personally this would be my smallest problem to this grinder

Summary:
The whole grinder is flexible which results an unpredictable and curve touch of the burrs to each other. This afferct the evenness of the grind and detracts/killing off the burrs before time.

Comparing to Kinu?

Unable to even just touch the feet of my beloved M47 Classic.
If you are hesitating between a Kinu and a Mazzer I only can recommend to go for the Kinu (any version).

If somebody like me, can't resist the Omega's look and hype over heritage, feel free to contact me and I will be glad to interchange mine for a Kinu any time.

Best regards,

Tamas

Jaroslav

#46: Post by Jaroslav replying to tomi740i »

Welcome to the forum, Tamas.

I've had the Omega for a year now, I've never experienced or haven't even heard of any of these issues from anyone so far. Magnets coming off, or handles flying off and scratching the body, and alloys are soft now? If the contruction of the grinder lacks of stiffness, I really wonder why is it the first time I hear/read about it now.

Strange that your Omega can't touch Kinu's feet, I'd argue it very much can do much more than that. Take it as you will, but here's a particle size distribution for comparison:

Source

Do you have any photos/videos of these issues you've had with the grinder? I'm curious.
Jaroslav

salvia

#47: Post by salvia »

Hey Tamas,
Since you have both the Mazzer Omega and Kinu M47, have you checked to see if the Mazzer burrs will fit in the Kinu?
As an owner of two M47 Classics, I've been interested to see if any other burrs come out that might be compatible.
tomi740i wrote:comparing my Kinu M47 Classic

tomi740i

#48: Post by tomi740i »

Dear Jaroslav,

I can make the photoshots on Monday but main issues mentioned only can be presented by video.
If you can suggest me any way to share them, I will do it too. I posted these issues on your site too asking if you have the same experiences.

Dear Salvia,

I will check for the sizes on Monday too, but Kinu's mother burr is not interchangeble as far as I know only for service/reparing reasons. You can easily hurt the inner surface of the grinder whet knocking out (or in) with a hammer. Height size also can be a problem, since holder basket has to have the place, father burrs position also given on the axis and inner beams are also have their fixed place.
I will check.

Jaroslav

#49: Post by Jaroslav replying to tomi740i »

Thanks Tamas, it landed in spam for some reason.

I haven't noticed that, the axis on mine has a very minimal play and the burrs don't touch no matter what. I just checked again to be sure, but everything feels firm, nice and tight. I've used the Omega almost daily and never had magnets nor handle or knob fly away. My shot times are very consistent and repeatable, so I doubt there's enough play to throw off the particle distribution to a degree where it would actually matter.

You could upload it on YouTube and share link here?
Jaroslav

drH

#50: Post by drH replying to Jaroslav »

I agree. Mine also feels very robust. Comparing the taste to the previous Helor106, I felt like the Mazzer was smoother. Not totally fair because the Helor takes ages to season, but the Mazzer seemed a worthy competitor.