Mazzer Omega hand grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
exidrion

#11: Post by exidrion »

I was curious about the burrs that are in the MC4 I have on order and I ended up down the rabbit hole looking at all things mazzer purely for fun :mrgreen: The company seems to have quite the history and reputation. Apart from the Mazzer Mini, which really isn't that small, I don't see anything they really offer for home use. Ya'll think they'll ever enter the single dosing market now that it's all the rage these days?

summer

#12: Post by summer »

baldheadracing wrote:I'm wondering if the burrs shown on the website are really the burrs for this grinder ... if so, then Mazzer has shrunken what looks like the 83mm 3-phase Robur design (ten 'fingers' on the inner burr) down to 47 mm ...
Yes, the grinder shows 10-12 fingers on the inner burr, and the burr picture shows a inner burr that has more like 16-18 fingers.
Not the same burrs.

bialettibarista

#13: Post by bialettibarista »

https://www.facebook.com/dipaccicoffeec ... 846590340/
Here's a short video posted of it on Facebook. They say it will start at €265 plus tax. I for one am pretty excited to see how how this plays out. The hard burr version definitely has my attention. That is my biggest complaint with my Kinu is that I just turn and turn and turn without much resistance. I would gladly trade more needed force for quicker grinding times.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Pressino »

I took their specs to mean each click step adjusts the burr 33 microns, which I guess would be OK for non-espresso brewing. That seemed a bit too coarse an adjustment for espresso (about 3x as coarse as the Kinu's steps), so maybe this grinder is intended mainly for the non-espresso/non-Turkish brewing crowd. :?

LewBK

#15: Post by LewBK »

Pretty nice looking: https://dailycoffeenews.com/2021/11/26/ ... a-grinder/
I have a feeling they'll do well with this.

Jeff
Team HB

#16: Post by Jeff »

FYI: Merged your thread with an existing one on the same subject.

Jaroslav

#17: Post by Jaroslav »

I just got mine delivered today! It's built really nicely, so far I'm loving the materials Mazzer went with. I'll update this post with some thoughts in a few days!
Jaroslav

drH

#18: Post by drH replying to Jaroslav »

Any new thoughts? It looks beautiful. I'd be interested to hear if the results are noticeably different from other manual conicals like the Commandante.

Jaroslav

#19: Post by Jaroslav »

Sure!

Looking at Comandante's burrs, I could almost guarantee the results will be noticeable in comparison to those made by Mazzer. They look different than the ones listed on their promo website, but you can tell they're Mazzer burrs just by looking at them. They remind me a lot of Kony burrs. Please don't shout, but I wouldn't be surprised if these tasted very similiarly to the Niche.

I've never owned a Commandante and I also only drink espresso, I can't tell how good these are with filter. But I can tell that espresso from these is insanely good!

I've only been comparing these with what I have - the (maybe more recent) Mazzer's 64mm flats (saying more recent because they grind much faster than what I remember brand new stock 64mm burrs on Mini Electronic used to be on the older B model). Making sure my recipe is the same and that the tasting results aren't biased towards Omega, I blind tested a few shots. Both were amazing, but we (my and my fiancée) found the lighter roasts to taste better with the Omega. The notes were slightly muted compared to the flats, but they had a really nice body and really strong aroma. I know that taste is totally subjective, but after a few bags of coffee I know which coffees would go well with the Omega and which to grind with the flats. It grinds really nicely, I wish I could put some of the coffee through a laser! But even without it I can tell there aren't as many fines as I thought there would be.

I've got the soft burrs, grinding has a nice resistance to it but isn't too stubborn. It can grind 18,5g on espresso setting in about 70-80 seconds - and I'm really taking my time. They also have fast burrs if shaving those 30 seconds off really matters! I bought it mainly for espresso on the go, but actually love the espresso so much that I keep going back to the Omega at least twice a day at home.

The build quality is amazing, I'm loving these magnets on the knob and the arm that hold it together for storing. It feels sturdy, heavy duty but soft and smooth to the touch at the same time. Everything sits precisely, no rattling, it's just really nicely built.

I've shared some thoughts on my blog, have a quick read if you'd like: https://jaroslav.io/?p=1440

Here's the unboxing:
Here's a quick workflow:

Feel free to ask if there's anything specific you'd like to see/know, thanks!
Jaroslav

drH

#20: Post by drH »

Thanks. Great write-up and videos.
I have a Helor 106 (Robur conicals) which are great for some coffees. I particularly like it for lighter roasts but it does produce a lot of fines and muddles the flavors of some coffees (in a good way and bad way depending on the bean). I'm wondering if the Omega is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.