Mazzer Major startup problems

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Coelacanth

#1: Post by Coelacanth »

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2008 non-timer Mazzer Major. It had been in storage since 2012 and needed a jolly good clean (pun intended).

I have run into an issue however, and I know these things are as common as muck, so I thought maybe someone could help with diagnosis...

Each time I twist the switch on, the machine makes a soft 'Poof' noise (sort of like the sound an old-school fuse made when it blew). Most of the time the motor spins into action and away she goes. However, sometimes it doesn't. The green light comes on, but no action from the rotor, or sometimes just a slight spin then stall.

My gut tells me the starter capacitor is toast. This is the simplest explanation, however I am not sure it explains the curious noise when I switch it on...

Is there anything else really that can go wrong with these workhorses, before I race out and buy a new cap?

I am capable of rewiring parts, but my testing and overall knowledge of electrics is limited. There looks to be a control module within the Major too... I wondered if this might be the issue? The Mazzer was sold and bought in good faith, the seller is happy to help with repair costs, but if I can do it myself to save everyone some dough I will.

The good news is that when she's working, the drinks I'm pouring are far and away nicer than with the previous grinder.. no contest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Coelacanth (original poster)

#2: Post by Coelacanth (original poster) »

I think I have answered my own question..

I took the grinder apart again and had a better look at the components. The "control box" is of course the Lovato relay. I stripped it down and found it to be full of coffee grinds, like everything else inside the Mazzer. The contacts were totally covered in coffee oils. Cleaning them up has removed the slight delay and 'poof' noise, and so far I havent hd the stalling issue again.

I'm not entirely certain that dirty contacts woud be sufficiently impeding the flow of electricity to prevent star and/or stall the motor, so I will buy a new cap to be on the safe side. Unless there is a problem with the motor, I can't see there being any other cause for the issue.

Still appreciate wisdom however.. so please pipe up with opinions/experience :-)

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

Just out of curiosity, was the "puff" similar in sound to a click?

Coelacanth (original poster)

#4: Post by Coelacanth (original poster) »

Hi Luke. No the puff sound was distinct. Like a magic dragon.

I have installed a new cap (local supplier had one in stock and happened to be open saturday morning.. lucky me) - and as mentioned earlier, cleaned out the relay. The machine now makes a snap! noise when the switch is flicked and the motor spins up to full revs with no detectable hesitation. Everything feels faster and quieter. Quite noticeably different from before the change/clean.

So as far as I can tell, the clogged relay was making the weird noise (could there have been an arc somewhere as a result of the dirty contacts?) and the cap was the cause of the start/stall issue.

I think I made a video of the noisy operation. Let me know via pm if you want to see/hear.