Mazzer Major E observation.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by redbone »

Notice interesting observations with newly acquired Mazzer Major E. Can grind visually very fine without choking machine. Almost Turkish like although many notches from burrs touching. Also able to confirm fineness by space left above in basket using same dose.

Previous flat burr grinders were 58mm and 64mm this is the first 83mm burr grinder. Not sure if burr size has anything to do with this observation as previous machines did not exhibit this and would choke spring lever machine at same fine grind.

Still tweaking grind settings but noticing sweeter coffee albeit less body with low to no harshness resulting in a smoother cup. Previous grinders required very specific grind setting in order to mitigate bitterness in espresso or harshness in Americano. Grind ranges are closer to previous conical grinder as they are more forgiving vs previous Mazzer SJ or Fiorenzato F4 E with SSP burrs.

Aligned all previous grinders removing one of the equations between grinders. Did not notice much difference between 58mm and 64mm flat burrs but this Major with 83mm take into another level. Doubt I can ever be sold on a smaller burr grinder regardless of other features outside of a DRM hybrid burr which combine to equal a path greater than 83mm.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

try the SSP burrs, a major step forward
LMWDP #483

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
redbone (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) »

I have, 58mm SSP burrs for F4E, Mazzer Mini, etc.. Different not better as I've found little to no benefit in replacing almost new oem burrs from a well established company. SSP 83mm burrs cost an order magnitude more vs Mazzer OEM burrs, which is not negligible or justifiable considering the marginal differences. Folks like change and experimentation and each evaluates their own law of diminishing returns.

Mazzer has manufactured their own burrs since 2007. https://sprudge.com/mazzer-factory-tour-44860.html
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

When I got the Major it had brand new factory burrs, after a year or so I swapped them for SSP, and to my taste the difference was noticeable and well worth it. Not an earth shattering change but as things go with an already great grinder the improvements get smaller and smaller, in this case I found it worth it as flavor separation was ebtter and I got clearer taste notes...I hear what you are saying.
LMWDP #483