Mazzer Major Doserless Conversion

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Grant

Postby Grant » Apr 05, 2007, 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone converted their Mazzer (a Major in my case) to the doserless version using the kits from Espresso Parts, and if so, are you happy/disappointed with the results. From the "look" of the kit here, the only downside I can see is that it looks like it may make it difficult (impossible?) to sweep the grounds from the chute after grinding. My intention is to use it shot-by-shot for espresso...not bulk grinding.

I simply LOVE the way it grinds in comparison to my Macap M4 (stepped)...far better extractions even when the stepped grinder is dead on...but the size/doser height etc. make it very awkward as it towers over my machine now. Not to mention speed!

Considering a short hopper conversion and doserless conversion. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Grant

p.s. Anyone know if the Macap stepless grinder mechanism can be obtained/mounted on a stepped M4?

JV

Postby JV » Apr 06, 2007, 3:29 am

Grant wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone converted their Mazzer (a Major in my case) to the doserless version using the kits from Espresso Parts, and if so, are you happy/disappointed with the results. From the "look" of the kit here, the only downside I can see is that it looks like it may make it difficult (impossible?) to sweep the grounds from the chute after grinding. My intention is to use it shot-by-shot for espresso...not bulk grinding.

I simply LOVE the way it grinds in comparison to my Macap M4 (stepped)...far better extractions even when the stepped grinder is dead on...but the size/doser height etc. make it very awkward as it towers over my machine now. Not to mention speed!

Considering a short hopper conversion and doserless conversion. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Grant

p.s. Anyone know if the Macap stepless grinder mechanism can be obtained/mounted on a stepped M4?

Hey Grant. I also have a Mazzer Major and I thought about going doserless but it just didnt make any sense for me to do that. this beast of a grinder works awesome and even the tiny adjusting makes a difference in the pour. But I did change the hopper to the Mini as you can tell in the picture. I think it looks fantastic with the new hopper and i have plenty of overhead space...cheers

espressoperson

Postby espressoperson » Apr 06, 2007, 8:48 am

Yes to the doserless conversion but there's a better way here. Easy to sweep out between fillings, easy to fill portafilter basket, no static.

Why use a hopper at all? Put in just enough fresh beans as needed; cover with tamper or inverted shot glass, or anything that covers the opening and prevents beans from hopping out.

Grant wrote:Hi all,

Grant

michaelb, lmwdp 24

Grant

Postby Grant » Apr 06, 2007, 12:10 pm

espressoperson wrote:Yes to the doserless conversion but there's a better way here. Easy to sweep out between fillings, easy to fill portafilter basket, no static.

Why use a hopper at all? Put in just enough fresh beans as needed; cover with tamper or inverted shot glass, or anything that covers the opening and prevents beans from hopping out.

Will the Mini electronic doser chute fit on a Major?

That would work even better...

Grant

DigMe

Postby DigMe » Apr 07, 2007, 1:09 pm

espressoperson wrote:Yes to the doserless conversion but there's a better way here. Easy to sweep out between fillings, easy to fill portafilter basket, no static.

It always sticks in my craw a little bit that this little piece of metal funnel costs $150. :x

Oh well, they can charge what they want. I would be much more likely to buy it at even $70 though but something more like $30 seems more appropriate.

bc

Spresso_Bean

Postby Spresso_Bean » Apr 07, 2007, 1:26 pm

If you didn't care about the factory look, you can even find some nice stainless funnels that could be modified to do a similar thing for less than 1/10th the price of that Mazzer funnel. Just as an example, Amazon sells something called a "Norpro Stainless Steel Wide-Mouth Funnel" and it's less than $8. It's an idea anyway for those that wouldn't want to spend the money for the real thing, but there might be others that would work just as well.

Edit - the funnel mentioned above has a 2 1/4" mouth, which should fit a 58 mm basket well.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Apr 07, 2007, 2:27 pm

Here's what I rigged up on my Mazzer Super Jolly:

Remove the doser, cut some aluminum flashing to cover the doser area, and glue a rubber gasket around the chute. The copper spout is a $2 plumbing part that slips in and out of the rubber gasket, making it easy to brush every last bit of grounds from the chute. This was supposed to be a prototype, but it worked so well that I'm still using it a year and a half later.
John

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Apr 07, 2007, 5:46 pm

John...that is an awesome mod...say....why not use the...hhmmmmmm...WDT as well...haha...if I'd had the benefit of your post a few years ago, I probably would have removed the doser from MY SJ...now, i'm just sort of used to the routine....actually, I have sort of make shift "plunger" i place on top of the doser throat (I use no hopper...after grinding, I push the plunger handle downward several times...it forces the trapped grind downward.
Still, i love this mod of yours...I may bug you soon for a little morale support as I attempt it...I'm mechanically challenged...except in my recording studio...lol.
Can I assume the process is reversible?
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Apr 07, 2007, 7:35 pm

IMAWriter wrote:Can I assume the process is reversible?

Completely. The aluminum sheet is held on by the two doser screws. I put some goop (gasket maker IIRC) on the bottom of the sheet to form a better seal, but even a strip of tape would work.

The doserless Mazzer has an antistatic filter screen / finger guard that helps break up clumps. I tried a piece of window screening in the funnel, but the screen grid was far too fine, and blocked the grinds. One of these days I'll try some coarser screening and see if it helps reduce clumping. (I'd prefer not to install the Mazzer screen, because it would make it harder to brush out grinds from the chute.)
John

Spresso_Bean

Postby Spresso_Bean » Apr 07, 2007, 7:56 pm

I saw that EPNW sells a plate similar to what you did with the aluminum:

http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_206

Would this be something that could cover the opening from the doser if removed, or at least the part below where a homemade spout would go? It doesn't appear to have a chute opening, but I thought it might possibly be another option since they sell it in Mini and SJ versions.