Mazzer Kony - removing doser microswitch instructions - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chelya

#11: Post by chelya »

Randy, worked like a charm. Thank you!

shadowfax

#12: Post by shadowfax »

Randy,

Thanks for these instructions! Very handy. I went ahead and removed the flapper, the wires to the counter microswitch in the bottom of the doser, and the safety interlock microswitch in the top of my Robur:

Left: Safety microswitch + wire; right: doser microswitch wires, with flapper attached (Flickr link)

Detail of interlock safety switch (Flickr link)

It's quite impressive how easy it is to remove these things without breaking anything or making any permanent change to the machine. All you need is some time, the excellent instructions and diagrams on this thread, and some jumper wire...
Nicholas Lundgaard

eastpresso

#13: Post by eastpresso »

shadowfax wrote:'Snip'
It's quite impressive how easy it is to remove these things without breaking anything or making any permanent change to the machine. All you need is some time, the excellent instructions and diagrams on this thread, and some jumper wire...
Did you jump wire all connections:

1. doser flap switch
2. doser star switch
3. hopper switch

?

Thanks.

shadowfax

#14: Post by shadowfax »

Yes on the hopper switch, yes on the doser flap switch. The doser switch depends on how you want your power switch to behave. I can't recall exactly how I ended up configuring mine, but I believe that I actually wired the doser star switch to the power switch so it closes when you turn the power switch on. I'll have the grinder apart next week, and if I think about it I'll get a picture of what it looks like now.
Nicholas Lundgaard

eastpresso

#15: Post by eastpresso replying to shadowfax »

Thanks for the info - I ended up with:

1. doser flap switch removed (jump wired as shown in Randy's instructions)
2. doser star switch removed

Turning on the start button starts grinding. Maybe Jacob can post a picture of his timer setup?

Jacob

#16: Post by Jacob »

eastpresso

#17: Post by eastpresso replying to Jacob »

Thanks for the link (and the diagram btw) I was thinking more along the lines of what kind of timer you use and how you installed it:

This way, this way or this way :wink:

Jacob

#18: Post by Jacob »

Still just an external darkroom timer.

shadowfax

#19: Post by shadowfax »

Jacob--I guess you "custom" wired the darkroom channel so it switches that circuit in the diagram, rather than the whole grinder via plug-in? I've considered doing this on my Robur. Ian graciously sent me a timer to try on the Robur, along with (according to him) a big, ugly relay that can switch the whole grinder. I was kind of thinking of taking the timer apart (If I end up buying it from him or getting my own) and doing what it sounds like you did--wiring it to the control circuit rather than switching it externally.

... it's kind of hard to find a darkroom timer that is rated for the wattage of the Robur (900W), at least I've found so.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Jacob

#20: Post by Jacob »

shadowfax wrote:Jacob--I guess you "custom" wired the darkroom channel so it switches that circuit in the diagram, rather than the whole grinder via plug-in?
Exactly! And on top of that the timer gets it's power from the grinder so they turn on and off together (using main switch on the grinder) :wink:

My timer were only rated for 500w, so ...