Mazzer doser fins modification - 2.0b

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RegulatorJohnson

#1: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

I have made some doser fins.

They are similar to the standard tape mod only now with super whisker scraper tip.

I also have made up some fins for the top bars on the doser star thing. These clean the flat area above where the coffee falls into the PF, they work ok but have some issues to resolve.

i have 5 sets available (6 bottom fins, 2 top fins) anyone want to try these out?

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

pauljolly65

#2: Post by pauljolly65 »

Johnson, that looks like a great mod for the Mazzer. I've got a used Super Jolly which, while it grinds brilliantly, has a hard time getting all the grounds out of the doser. I've thought about removing the doser entirely & attaching a spout instead. Your fins look good, however. They look like some kind of thin aluminum flashing--is that correct? And how are they attached?

Cheers,
Paul

RegulatorJohnson (original poster)

#3: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

sorry i forgot to specify the material.

it is "metallic" vinyl sticker substrate. it comes in about 40 different colors. want some pink ones? :D

soft. pliable. bendy.

NOT metal.

it is pressure sensitive adhesive, like a sticker it can be pulled off.

3 layers of the sticker material (folded).

seems to sweep cleaner. the whisker thing sweeps underneath the inner edge of the star.

jon

DigMe

#4: Post by DigMe »

Is there a difference between what you've done here and the electrical tape mod?

bc

#5: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

DigMe wrote:Is there a difference between what you've done here and the electrical tape mod?
no not really.

the tape mod in its basic form wasnt workin for me. i work at home and sometimes get bored of clicking the mouse. i decided to pull out the exacto knife and the vinyl.

i had a few different mutations of the tape mod. different tapes, materials, thicknesses, shapes, adding various things inside, etc.

i rounded corners (will change from the pic) added the whisker that goes under the edge where the tape cant. these ones are also longer and fully wrap under the entire fin piece and the extra edge of the fin scrapes the corner a bit better for me. more pressure maybe?

the top ones are a bit different, i havent seen a top fin yet. but these ones are installed by taking it apart. the top fins stick on the under side of the top star flush with the center hole. these top fins also "push" like a bulldozer instead of dragging like the bottom fins. because they are on the inside underneath the star they can scrape out that coffee that gets packed in there under where you cant brush easily.

these are already folded and ready to stick in there after you clean the surface.

jon

pauljolly65

#6: Post by pauljolly65 »

RegulatorJohnson wrote:i have 5 sets available (6 bottom fins, 2 top fins) anyone want to try these out?
Yes! Can you email me off-list and let me know how to get ahold of them?

Thanks,
Paul
pauljolly65@yahoo.com

#7: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

anyone else can just PM their address to me.

jon

Psyd

#8: Post by Psyd »

RegulatorJohnson wrote: it comes in about 40 different colors. want some pink ones? :D
Ehm, it'd go with my mod!

These are just large plastic easter egg halves (you know, the ones they hid with chocolates and jellybeans in?) that I've fitted over the top star.

When you have the thing out for cleaning, just heat it up gently with a gas stove or a propane torch. Careful not to get it too hot, as it isn't really designed to take a lot of heat. Any discoloration of the metal and you have gone way too far. Practice with a coupla throwaway egg parts and some scrap metal pieces first. Find a surface that you can set hot metal on that won't sink away too much heat, and then heat the star, center the egg-half, and gently press it into place. Take special care not to press the egg past flush with the star's bottom, or it will bind on the dosing sector (the lil shelf that sits above the doser exit chute and splits the upper and lower star sections).

Run it under cool water when you have it where you want it, but be careful that the star isn't still hot enough to deform it when you pick it up, and it'll become set. Gently pull the egg away from the star, and clean the edges with a razor knife. A small dab (really, small) of silicone, Elmer's, or other cement in each of the new indentations that you've made will keep it in place through all the brushings, but allow you to take it up when you wish to disassemble the grinder for cleaning.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

pauljolly65

#9: Post by pauljolly65 »

I got a set of these from RJohnson and installed them in my old Super Jolly. Installation took about 30 minutes (would go much more quickly with experience, but this was the first time I'd dug into the doser). Not only was it an easy mod, but I'd say it's eliminated 90% of the stray grounds which had been collecting in the doser. No more brushing it out after each day! Thanks, Regulator!

mobleyfan

#10: Post by mobleyfan »

I gave this a shot as well. I think I may have need to apply them lower than they appear in the photos as I'm not getting a completely clean sweep. However there is a clear improvement and fewer grounds are remaining. Thanks!
-Sam