Mazzer burr alignment question

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
esmaker32

#1: Post by esmaker32 »

I've replaced the burrs on my Mazzer Mini E, but unfortunately I only found out later how burr alignment is important. So I decided to check the alignment with the classic marker pen procedure and this is how it looks like now:

Do I have to align or it is should be good like that?

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

esmaker32 wrote:Do I have to align or it is should be good like that?

What does the top burr look like?
The fact that your wipe goes most the way around, but is is very narrow makes me suspect the top burr is quite out of alignment, and only the edge of the lower burr is making contact, but doing so most of the way around.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

esmaker32 (original poster)

#3: Post by esmaker32 (original poster) »

What do you mean? Should I check the top burr with the marker pen also?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

IMO the rub pattern looks odd: the burrs appear to have been in contact everywhere except for two places, roughly at the 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Not sure how that could happen unless both upper and lower burrs are slightly tilted off the horizontal plane, or the burr surfaces themselves aren't exactly flat. Someone with a bit more practical burr alignment experience may chime in.

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

esmaker32 wrote:What do you mean? Should I check the top burr with the marker pen also?
Yes
Pressino wrote:IMO the rub pattern looks odd: the burrs appear to have been in contact everywhere except for two places, roughly at the 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Not sure how that could happe5n unless both upper and lower burrs are slightly tilted off the horizontal plane, or the burr surfaces themselves aren't exactly flat. Someone with a bit more practical burr alignment experience may chime in.
My guess, given the relationship of the low spots to the screws is that those screws are distorting the skirt of the lower burr, pulling it away from the upper burr. The fact that only a small ring on the outside of the skirt is making contact with the upper burr makes me think the upper burr has a tilt to it.

Here is an example of a lower burr that is well aligned to a tilted upper burr:

And here is the same lower burr after correcting the misalignment of the upper burr:

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704
★ Helpful