Manual grinder: Kinu M47 vs. Comandante C40 Nitro Blade

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Pyopyo

#1: Post by Pyopyo »

Hi, im asking for my flair espresso machine.. Which one is better for it ? The kinu m47 or comandante c40 nitro blade ? Giving pro and cons would be nice..

Thx..

Adiszep

#2: Post by Adiszep »

I am very happy with my m47. Great grinder even compared to Mazzer sj or other commercial grinders. That's my opinion anyway.

bas

#3: Post by bas »

For espresso the M47 definitely! The stepless grind adjustment and much faster grinding is a big plus. For slow the Nitroblad is at least on par. Espresso is possible with the Nitroblade however but less convenient.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

Forget the Commandante for espresso because the stepped grind adjustments sucks for espresso. Great for pourover but nearly useless for espresso. It's a shame because it's a great grinder. Ont eh other hand the Kinu works great for espresso.

treyd

#5: Post by treyd »

erik82 wrote:Forget the Commandante for espresso because the stepped grind adjustments sucks for espresso.
Not so. I use the Comandante Mk3 with my Flair daily for a year now. The espresso is top notch. When I first got the Flair and grinder I also ordered a Helor 101. A friend and I did side by side comparisons of the two grinders with the Flair for a couple weeks and we both concluded there was no real difference in the cup. He is now using the Helor with his Flair.

I have never used the Kinu grinders, so while they get great compliments in the forums, I can't help here with a direct comparison. I can say that I'm very satisfied with the Comandante for use with the Flair.
All that said, it might be true that the C40 would not work as well for espresso machines with a standard commercial size portafilter which are much more sensitive to smaller changes in grind than the C40 can make. But the Flair has a much deeper basket with a smaller diameter which requires a coarser grind to begin with, and also makes it less responsive to small changes in grind.

Cafillo

#6: Post by Cafillo »

Just used my C40 Ironheart for 1week in holiday together with a La Pavoni. Different roasts from dark to bright.

There is really absolutely nothing to complain. Fantastic grinder!

I also used M47 (V1) together with the Ironheart. After a couple of weeks of comparing I sold it.
And I also tested Nitroblade and Helor 101. Side by side.

__
My personal preferenced for Espresso and manual Lever:
1. All of them are great! But if I really have to...
a. C40 Ironheart of coarse (the one I still have :-)
b. Helor 101
c. M47 V1
d. C40 Nitroblade

Just have in mind: M47 V2 is not stepless anymore (at least the one a have seen recently). Probably the steps are finer then C40... I don't know.

treyd

#7: Post by treyd »

Phil,

I know the burr material is different between the two Comandantes. What I could find online says the burr geometry is the same. Having had both, did you compare the burrs of the ironheart and Nitroblade side by side? Was there indeed a difference?

thanks,
Trey

Cafillo

#8: Post by Cafillo »

Have had both and tested side by side.

IH takes longer to grind with less torque.
And IMHO best result in the cup and best combination (at least in small price range) with a manual lever such as Pavoni or Cremina.

I do RDT and WDT. And burrs of IH still look like new after 6mth.

Hence... Nitroblade seems to be better choice for filter coffee. I do not drink filter. So I just can tell you my little experiences with Espresso.

I bought IH at Supremo in Munich. Where they are build. And folk in the shop did recommend
IH: Espresso
NB: Filter
But both can do both.

At the end, best is, to test by yourself ;-)

radu

#9: Post by radu »

Cafillo wrote:Just have in mind: M47 V2 is not stepless anymore (at least the one a have seen recently). Probably the steps are finer then C40... I don't know.
They're at V3 now. It is basically stepless, but it also has clicks. You can set the grind between the clicks very easily, but I found no need to do that so far. The adjustment is really fine. I usually adjust using 2 clicks, not just one.

I never used the Nitroblade, so I can't say anything about the comparisson.
LMWDP #616

bas

#10: Post by bas »

Yes the Kinu is stepless for sure! I like the clicking sound. definitely not to compare with the clicks on the Comandante grinders. Those are stepped and there is a big difference between steps. With a manual lever you can compensate with pressure and get good results anayway.

Compared to the M47 the Comandante is a much slower grinder. For some a good thing if you consider grinding as a kind of Zen monent, for others pretty annoying. I experience the grinding process also differently: The M47 gives more direct feedback about what is happening. With the Comandante the overall experience is more indirect, less involvement. Again highly personal.

So for espresso I suggest getting a M47 without doubt. Helor and Knock work fine for espresso as well. Comandante good choice if you make slow coffee predominantly and an espresso occasionaly.

In the end they are all good products. There are differences however. How much emphasis you put on these is personal. And that is a nice thing so we all can chose according to personal preferences. For me the M47 is the best package overall. For others not.