Malwani Livi

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by drH »

Anyone use this grinder? Experiences?

LewBK

#2: Post by LewBK »

I have just started using one, but it is too new for me to comment yet. Do you have any specific questions?

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by drH (original poster) » replying to LewBK »

Mostly I am wondering if the build quality is good and if it is giving you good results? Any early impression?

LewBK

#4: Post by LewBK »

The build quality is solid and I am getting decent results so far, but it's new so I'm still learning things about it. I plan to write a full review of it at a later date. The planetary 3 to 1 gear helps with medium roasts, so you only have to hold the top gently to keep the grinder from moving, although I haven't tried a truly light roast yet. To me its primary competition would be the Lyn Weber HG-1 and the Kinu M68. It has a stepless grind adjustment, which is nice but the numbers on it are hard to read.

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by drH (original poster) » replying to LewBK »

Wondering if you have any further thoughts on this one?

handonam

#6: Post by handonam »

LewBK wrote:The build quality is solid and I am getting decent results so far, but it's new so I'm still learning things about it. I plan to write a full review of it at a later date. The planetary 3 to 1 gear helps with medium roasts, so you only have to hold the top gently to keep the grinder from moving, although I haven't tried a truly light roast yet. To me its primary competition would be the Lyn Weber HG-1 and the Kinu M68. It has a stepless grind adjustment, which is nice but the numbers on it are hard to read.
I'm curious against the HG-1 as well. I'm not hearing great things in terms of the quality control for the hg-1 lately

LewBK

#7: Post by LewBK »

Sorry, I've been meaning to update this. I have been using this grinder now for about nine months. Overall, I like it with a few provisions. I don't have a great basis to compare it to a HG-1 except on what I've read and watched since I've never tried an HG-1. I do have a Kinu M47 and a Comandante. I can say the espressos I've made with the Malwani taste better than what I've had from the Kinu M47 and the Comandante, sweeter shots with little to no chanelling on a Cafelat Robot and Espresso Forge. I've had many more bitter or too acidic shots with Kinu, despite its reputation. I should also add that grinding takes less time, about 30 to 40 seconds for an 18 gram shot for me and doesn't require much physical effort thanks to the Malwani's planetary gear. It is also very easy to clean this grinder.

However, the Malwani is not without its flaws. As I said in a previous post, although a stepless grinder, the adjustment dial is hard to read. A second flaw is that when loading an 18 gram shot as I normally do, there are invariable a few beans--2 to 4 typically--left over in the shoot after grinding. Because the lid comes off easily, it requires a few extra seconds of work to sweep those beans balanced on the top of the burrs into the grind path, and continue grinding. Once that is done, this is essentially a zero retention grinder, but it is an extra step.

The biggest flaw however is a judgment call dependent on your taste buds and also recalls some controversy with the HG-1 as well. Although in some reviews of the Malwani I've seen mention of 83mm Mazzer burrs, this is not in fact the case. The included burrs are actually Italmill 83 mm burrs, the same brand of burrs in the Kinu M47 I believe and the Izpresso's higher-end hand manual grinders like the JEplus, only much bigger. The thing is, the HG-1 is often advertised as having Mazzer burrs, but there has been at least one instance where that has proven not to be the case well documented on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7BsiCtyRkc Ultimately, I removed the Italmill burrs and purchased some Mazzer burrs from Torr Toys as a replacement and noticed an improvement in shot quality, a sweetness and eveness to the shots. In fact, I wonder if the burr difference doesn't amount to the same issue I had with Kinu.

Finally, I would add something that is to taste. I find the HG-1 to be an ugly grinder that looks like a brutalist version of an old grain mill. I know others find it attractive--to me not at all. The Malwani, by contrast, is a beautiful grinder that would look good on most countertops. Obviously, this is all matter of opinion and personal taste. I hope this review helps.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by drH (original poster) »

Any chance you can post the link for buying Mazzer replacements?
I just ordered the Malwani and excited about sharing my thoughts.

LewBK

#9: Post by LewBK »

Here is one link: https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-ro ... VwQAvD_BwE

It seems Torr Toys is not selling OEM Mazzer burrs anymore but what is called Food Friendly Mazzer burrs: https://www.torrtoys.com/outlet/87d1qvq ... efklfcjerp

I've seen positive reviews of the food friendly ones but haven't tried them myself. They are considerably cheaper price wise.

InternationalOrange

#10: Post by InternationalOrange »

Man, those are pretty grinders. How does the adjustment mechanism work? Does the entire shaft adjust up and down through the gearing?