Malwani Livi - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tompoland

#91: Post by tompoland »

In regard to machine pairing.

I know that it divides opinion massively but IMHO the Decent is all but impossible to beat for versatility and repeatability. People may not like the concept of the Decent, they may not like the look of the Decent and they may have concerns about the durability of the Decent (I don't) but it would be incredibly hard to rationally argue against it being amongst the very best for versatility and repeatability.

I've read many posts suggesting that the Strietman (and other Levers) product a thicker and more flavorsome espresso that non-lever machines, including the Decent. That's not my experience and it is only my experience. I've had a La Pavoni Professional, an Izzo Valexia and I currently have a Flair 58 and a Strietman CT2 with a Nurri Leva SA on the way. So I love levers and this is not a "them versus us" thing.

After reading a gazzilion reviews, my experience has led me to conclude that the moment of truth is when I have a machine on my espresso island and give it a whirl. One hundred or more times. Then I am in a position to decide if for me it's better or worse than another machine. But of course I am still not in a position to come to that conclusion for anyone else.

My experience is that I can almost replicate an espresso from a lever, with the Decent. But the reality is that there are so many variables (temperature, pressure, puck prep and more) from a back to back pour using one machine compared to a pour from another machine, that it is nigh on impossible to conclusively say that one is "better" than another in any particular aspect within the context of the thick chocolate style espresso you are asking about. Illy has been quoted as saying "with espresso there are 1,000 variables but only one perfect solution in the cup". The insurmountable variable between the Decent and most Levers is the basket diameter and depth on most levers (notably not the Flair 58).

That said, I'm one guy doing my espresso my way and the probability is exceptionally high that my process is sub optimal and my opinions are influence by a million unconscious factors.

I have the Strietman paired with the Livi primarily for reasons of aesthetics and the experience of combining two more manual-style machines, not because that combination produces the best espresso, although it certainly is not notch.

I currently have the EG-1 paired with the Decent and that works well although the former has been gathering dust since the Honne arrived in August. I'm planning on pairing the Honne with the Nurri when it arrives here on my Australian doorstep, most likely on Santa's sleigh.

After that, it may be a Titvs. Not because I think it will be significantly better than my current grinders (it may be?) but because I really enjoy trying new kit.
A little obsessed.

Zybane

#92: Post by Zybane »

I watched a video of the internals of the Decent machine and I just don't see where all the money has gone. IMO it's a high profit item made in China which I think will have questionable longevity. With shipping and customs charges, it's over $5,000 to the US which is quite insane.

I can definitely see where the money went when looking over the Strietman. Sorry not to derail the thread, but the Decent screams gimmick to me.

tompoland

#93: Post by tompoland »

To be fair it was me who went off topic but yes it is derailing the thread. Maybe start a new one and invite comments. It would be an interesting one for sure.
A little obsessed.

Qrumcof

#94: Post by Qrumcof »

tompoland wrote:Not a fan of the distributors. In testing it's clear they don't distribute the entire puck from top to bottom. You really need a puck rake and a tamper (the Malwani tampers are adjustable too).
I use aWDT whisk first (rough level by wdt), then use the spin-leveler set light, to get the puck more level (rather than thinking of it as distributing).

tompoland

#95: Post by tompoland replying to Qrumcof »

New WBC does the same as you so it looks like you are in good company! Essentially, he uses the spinning thing to create a flat bed for tamping, but after the puck rake. I'm not sure it's necessary but in terms of ticking a box for the judges (a flat bed prior to tamping) it probably helps and it certainly can't harm.
A little obsessed.

RafalD

#96: Post by RafalD »

Hi Tom I just ordered Malwani :). I also want to setup this grinder with CT2 for medium and dark roasts. I currently use Monolith Flat generally for light roasts. When I tried dark or medium Monolith Flat with Strietman, it didn't give me what I wanted. Do you think Malwani with Streitman, will be right for gapping this hole:)?

tompoland

#97: Post by tompoland »

I have to say I think it would be perfect!

Your preferences seem to be the same as mine and very happy with the combination.

I would recommend you buy a set of Mazzer Robur 83mm conicals and pop them in to replace the Italmill burrs. They are relatively easy to swap over and trust me, I'm generally not great at these things. Best tip I had was from Valentin which was to put the Livi on its back for the swap. The Mazzers are the same burr set as in the Key and HG-1.

I'm excited for you!

Also, it took 2kg before I was getting some consistency so you may need to be patient to start with.
A little obsessed.

tompoland

#98: Post by tompoland »

RafalD wrote:Hi Tom I just ordered Malwani :). I also want to setup this grinder with CT2 for medium and dark roasts. I currently use Monolith Flat generally for light roasts. When I tried dark or medium Monolith Flat with Strietman, it didn't give me what I wanted. Do you think Malwani with Streitman, will be right for gapping this hole:)?
The other tip I can offer is that if you decide to but the Robur burrs make sure that you can see the word "Mazzer" Lazer etched on them. A lot of websites pass off Italmill burrs as Mazzer. All of the latter have Mazzer etched on them. The Mazzer burrs are in my opinion significantly superior both in their geometry (very different), grind time and flavour.
A little obsessed.

RafalD

#99: Post by RafalD »

TX, I've seen this suggestion in Your posts, already ordered Mazzer Oryginal burr set, worries about replace them, I'm not a handyman general:) I count to improve dark and medium roast with this grinder, I hope so will.

Zybane

#100: Post by Zybane »

For those of you that purchased a Livi and live in the U.S., how long approximately did it take and what shipping provider did it come via?