Malwani Livi - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Zybane

#81: Post by Zybane »

tompoland wrote:Not a fan of the distributors. In testing it's clear they don't distribute the entire puck from top to bottom. You really need a puck rake and a tamper (the Malwani tampers are adjustable too).

Re the finger pressure. Remember you are not applying much force to the tamper, it's just a matter of giving it a nudge really, which you could do with either hand regardless of which hand is your normal writing hand.

And yes, whichever burrs you get will outlast you and me put together!

Sworksdesigns is my favorite puck rake see https://sworksdesign.com/WDT-Tool-p387817741

And while you are there, check out their funnels which I also regard as the best available from the ones I am aware of https://sworksdesign.com/Magnetic-Funnel-p455250493
Agreed. I think my barista tools will be the Sworks WDT and funnel, combined with the Malwani precision level tamper. From what I understand the Livi doesn't have a scale drawer anymore? I'll just need to find a nice scale to go with the setup and I think I'm off to the races.

tompoland

#82: Post by tompoland »

Correct: no drawer underneath. You'll be pretty happy with the sworks stuff. Good quality and designs that are well thought through. He's also quite responsive re customer service.
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

Zybane

#83: Post by Zybane »

I've received an update from Valentin. They are starting a new production batch next week. Five new woods, including Walnut which I ordered. Price now is 1390€ if you order before they get put up on the web-site for 1495€.

I asked him about shipping protection... even if I could pay extra and he said no need; "Yes we will pack it very good in a wooden Box and a karton".

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by drH (original poster) replying to Zybane »

Excellent! If they fix the shipping protection issue then it's an excellent grinder. It's also a pleasure to use.

tompoland

#85: Post by tompoland »

A wooden box will definitely help IF he packs the grinder tight enough. If it's not packed tight enough then the packing material consolidates and shifts around during transportation. The new gaps that appear mean the machine travels and then stops suddenly on impact when dropped. So definitely don't be backwards in suggesting he densely packs the grinder. I've had a lot to do with Valentin and at the end of the day, despite what some say is his lack of responsiveness, he's always gotten back to me after a nudge or two and has been generous too.

Interesting to hear about the price increases thanks for passing that on. We will see a lot of those. A couple that I am aware: John Buckman at Decent has announced a price review and increase before the end of the year (amount to be determined but he mentioned 10 to 20%) and Nurri was swamped with over 60 orders for his new Leva at Milan and has hinted at a similar sized increase but with no stated date.

tompoland

#86: Post by tompoland »

drH wrote:Excellent! If they fix the shipping protection issue then it's an excellent grinder. It's also a pleasure to use.
Agreed 100%. I got luck with my delivery compared to your well documented disaster. A wooden crate will help, if packed well.

I am using mine once a day, paired with a Strietman (two minimalist machines fit well together). I've had it since May and I've had the inevitable "do I really want to hand grind" moments and looked at the Key but my conclusion is that I'm actually really happy with the experience of hand grinding. And the grind time dropped to 15 seconds once I put the Mazzer Robur burrs in so that helped too.

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by drH (original poster) replying to tompoland »

Quick question..maybe you've already addressed this.. but did the Robur burrs change the taste much?

tompoland

#88: Post by tompoland »

Yes. In simple terms, more flavour and a smidgen more body. The guru on the difference between Italmill and Mazzer is DaveCuk who successfully identified the difference in blind taste tests. He was also sent a Niche Zero prototype with Italmill burrs and convinced them to switch to Mazzer before production.

And the grind time shrunk by over half too.

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by drH (original poster) »

tompoland wrote:Yes. In simple terms, more flavour and a smidgen more body. The guru on the difference between Italmill and Mazzer is DaveCuk who successfully identified the difference in blind taste tests. He was also sent a Niche Zero prototype with Italmill burrs and convinced then to switch to Mazzer before priduction.

And the grind time shrunk by over half too.
So, if one is aiming for thick rich, chocolatey espresso, are the Robur burrs your top recommendation? And for that style, which machine do you think Is the best pairing, streitman, DE1, or standard 9bar machine?

tompoland

#90: Post by tompoland »

My post may be deleted (again) when some genius searches my name and discovers to their horror that I am a marketer by profession and concludes beyond any reasonable doubt that I am motivated by commercial profit. "Marketer = Evil. QED", that sort of thing.

The profiling and stereo-typing I've experienced here has been unparalleled in my 40+ years of marketing. But you asked so I'll give you a straightforward answer and what the pitchfork brigade want to do about it is their call.

In my opinion, the best burr set for what you have described is the DRM hybrid burr set. See my review here https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/blog/ ... ugust-2022

That then begs the question: "if that's such a great grinder then why have the 83mm Mazzer Roburs in a Livi as well?"

And the answer is that it produces a different style of espresso. One is not better than the other, just different. And I enjoy that daily contrast.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that I can tell the difference between espresso from a Helor-106 with 71mm Robur burrs and the Livi with the 83mm Robur burrs. I can't. But I can certainly tell the difference between Robur and Kony burrs with the latter being thicker with more chocolate, the former having more origin/nut flavor. But the espresso from the Honne versus the EG-1 with Core Burrs is so close that I would fail a blind taste test.

Please note that the context for all of this is medium, full city and dark roasts. I know next to nothing about the light side of beans.