Malwani Livi - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LewBK

#51: Post by LewBK »

I'm not sure why Sprometheous continues to be attacked for giving an honest critical review while tons of puff pieces endorsing this or that grinder as the best in creation by folks who are selling that grinder for a profit are seen as OK.

tompoland

#52: Post by tompoland »

yakster wrote:Sprometheous was offered support, looks like he chose to sell the Key at a discount to promote his brand.
Very true. A two hour call. But he's a significant influencer and I don't know if the support he received was standard customer support service. I don't know if it was or it wasn't.
A little obsessed.

Advertisement
tompoland

#53: Post by tompoland »

LewBK wrote:I'm not sure why Sprometheous continues to be attacked for giving an honest critical review while tons of puff pieces endorsing this or that grinder as the best in creation by folks who are selling that grinder for a profit are seen as OK.
Theres always someone who will assume the worst of another person despite having no evidence to support their view. But based on comments on the YT page, I'd say he gets 99 supportive comments who express appreciation for his thorough and frank review, for every one who attacks him.
A little obsessed.

Brums

#54: Post by Brums »

The grinder was wrapped in paper, and the cardboard box packed with straw.

If the bearing keeps falling like mine I fixated it by nailing a toothpick on the side of the bearing.
I don't think it modifies the alignment as mine showed misalignement even without the bearing.
(Valentin told me he will send me the glue they use in the workshop... I stopped waiting)

Have a check to the wooden base too.

tompoland

#55: Post by tompoland »

I really appreciate the pics thanks. Paper and straw is ineffective at absorbing the shock of getting dropped from a meter or two multiple times which is what happens when packages are shipped internationally. My Decent came in a custom foam lined suitcase which itself was packed in a carton. The EG-1, Streitman and others were all similarly packed and all arrived in perfect condition.
A little obsessed.

drH (original poster)

#56: Post by drH (original poster) »

The paper and straw was also how mine was packed. The box was shredded but the postman somehow managed to deliver it and the grinder together.
The wooden base was loose, the top of the grinder was wobbling on the support post, and the metal case had some ragged dings from the hits it took.
Perhaps it's a testament to the robust quality of the materials that everything was fixable with a few bolt tightenings and a bit of wood glue (except for the bearing).

I especially loved the finish on the wood and the brass components and inlays. The adjustment dial felt smooth and very high end. Really, it's so close to being excellent - if only the shipping were better and a tad more work done on the alignment/bearings. For someone who is ready to tackle these issues, it's still the most affordable form factor to get 83mm conical burrs.

TomC
Team HB

#57: Post by TomC »

yakster wrote:Sprometheous was offered support, looks like he chose to sell the Key at a discount to promote his brand.
This is exactly what he did. Doug offered to have the grinder returned and examined along with a full refund. Asa decided to make a clickbait title and sell it quickly on social media only for the extra clicks and more followers it might accrue. Doug has screenshots of their entire conversation, but is taking the high road and not responding, yet.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
BodieZoffa

#58: Post by BodieZoffa replying to TomC »

Can't blame the guy really as that grinder has had so much hype... for that and the rather costly price point I'd expect perfection out-of-the-box. Some manufacturers just aren't worth the time/trouble plain and simple!

bakafish

#59: Post by bakafish »

I don't see anything wrong of Sprometheous. What is the "full refund"? Does it include the shipping when bought it? If no, suppose the shipping is US$ 200, he spent US$ 1,700 on Indiegogo. If he sends it back, he has to spent US$ 200 shipping again and gets US$ 1,500 of the refund, so US$ 400 lost, not a big difference with US$ 1,000 sale. Since Weber thought the grinder is normal, why should he send it back and let Weber sell it again with the price US$ 1,999 which is US$ 499 more and someone will buy this intactly? It's better to sell it for US$ 1,000 to someone who agrees that the grinder is normal or imperfect but with the reasonable price. The full refund is also unfair to other unhappy users. Is it because Sprometheous is a famous YouTuber and Weber can earn the reputation?
From Weber Workshops website:

HB
Admin

#60: Post by HB »

LewBK wrote:I'm not sure why Sprometheous continues to be attacked...
tompoland wrote:Theres always someone who will assume the worst of another person despite having no evidence to support their view.
TomC wrote:Asa decided to make a clickbait title and sell it quickly on social media only for the extra clicks...
bakafish wrote:I don't see anything wrong of Sprometheous... Is it because Sprometheous is a famous YouTuber and Weber can earn the reputation?
I haven't followed the YouTube reviews mentioned in this thread and others, but speculation about the motivations of influencers or their special treatment seems off-topic, at least for a thread like this that's supposed to be about Malwani Livi owner experiences. Rather than wait for a heated debate to start about a specific influencer's controversy (?), this thread is on cooldown for the weekend.

In the meantime, followers of this thread may be interested in the loosely related discussion from 2019 about vendors ...and their friends, insiders, promoters, and influencers. Also check out the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion and consider its recommendations, notably "Stay on topic" and "Encourage positive, shared discourse".
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful