Malwani Livi - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zan

#21: Post by zan »

There are not many pictures of this grinder and less of its gears.
★ Helpful

Espressoman007

#22: Post by Espressoman007 »

LObin...you are contradicting me, yes you are...hahaha. But that's completely fine!

You are possible right, but you are also not right when it comes to Malwani. I won't tell you the secret and why is that so. Let's play a game, you study the construction of Malwani and then give me a conclusion.
I am aware that people praise MC4 regardless of what level of roasted beans they are using, light or dark. I believe that, and that's the next one on my list :) But I still wouldn't sell my Malwani, even though it's not good for light roasted beans, lol.

Cheers!

P.S. I wouldn't advise playing with alignment, it won't help you :)

Advertisement
drH (original poster)

#23: Post by drH (original poster) »

The game's afoot then?
I'll take a stab and guess that because the planetary gears slow the grinding process, the very slow crushing is especially bad for light roasts? Could it be that simple?

LObin

#24: Post by LObin replying to drH »

I thought slow and steady burr rotation for light roast was generally perceived as a positive thing....?
LMWDP #592

Espressoman007

#25: Post by Espressoman007 »

I've read that people experiment for light roasted coffee with slow feeding, not slow burr rotation (speed). I have Lagom P64 and I am grinding at higher speed (7-9). But I am not that obsessed and wouldn't experiment with something like slow feeding. If you read about MC4, it grinds at slower speed all the time, regardless of what beans you grind. It's different flat vs conical.

drH I see you have a flat grinder, are you satisfied with it, for light roasted coffee?
And LObin, the thing with Malwani and light roasted coffee, what I believe, the issue is not the gears, gears are just fine, it's the construction...

Cheers!

dantyvogel

#26: Post by dantyvogel »

From my experience grinding at slower speeds creates a more uniform/even grind snd produces less fines. I've found this true on my Kafatek Monolith Flat... the lower rpm I go, the finer I need to adjust the grind. I mainly use light roasts and I find the light roasts especially better at lower rpm. Denis even suggests using 600 rpm as a max for light roasts, with most owners suggesting 350 rpm. If that carries any weight to the "lower rpm grinding being better or worse for light roast" convo.

RobAnybody

#27: Post by RobAnybody »

Espressoman007 wrote: Let's play a game, you study the construction of Malwani and then give me a conclusion.
Ooh a game!
looking at the construction, I guess it is due to how the cup that holds the outer burr is mounted to the frame. The single arm in the direction of the shaft could allow for some horizontal play (we're talking 1-2 microns here) especially with the harder light roast beans. No amount of alignment will cure that.
cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

Advertisement
LObin

#28: Post by LObin »

Good observation. A constant play of 1-2 microns won't have much effect on grind distribution though, correct? Considering conical burrs already have a wider distribution vs comparable flat burr grinders.
LMWDP #592

drH (original poster)

#29: Post by drH (original poster) »

Well the carrier that holds the bottom burr is not attached to frame (as is the case with the HG2). Instead it is fixed to the shaft holding the top burr by a hefty steel arm. Wouldn't this create more stability between the top and bottom burr? If the shaft has any wiggle, both sides of the burr will move together.

LObin

#30: Post by LObin replying to drH »

This would all be so much easier to see with pictures!
:D
Please?

*nothing wrong with the pictures posted by zan btw. There's just not that many pictures of Livi's in the wild out there.
LMWDP #592