Mahlkonig EK43S settings for v60 and espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jpsm

#1: Post by jpsm »

Hi guys I just got an ek43s last monday and was wondering what settings you have for brewing a v60. I tried playing around with it as my espresso grinder and i had to set it at around .3-.5 to be able to hit my timings. Is this normal? Also should I season my burrs and at what settings is recommended? I have 3-4kilos of old beans just sitting.

Thanks!

blkswn

#2: Post by blkswn »

My go to settings to start dialing in on the EK43 are as follows. Burrs are perfectly aligned and just begin to chirp at #0 and I use 20g for espressos and typically 22g for V60s.

Espresso
0.3 for medium-light roast | Range: 0.15-0.35
0.5 for medium-dark roast | Range: 0.4-0.6

V60
7.5 for medium-light to medium | Range: 7.25-8.75 for medium-light to medium-dark

Cupping

Batch Brew
Max coarseness or very close to it depending on batch size.

Advertisement
namelessone

#3: Post by namelessone »

For V60 you can try something like 9 o'clock - 8 o'clock depending on recipe. (#9-#12 on the new dial)

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

I'm also between a 9-11 with burr touch at 0 for 20G v60s or Kalitas.

I think a lot depends on your pouring method as well.

Mine hasn't had but 2lbs on the burrs yet tho.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

chris_n

#5: Post by chris_n »

on stock EK burrs i am am between 1-2 (on the stock adjustment scale) for shot durations of ~40s at a flowrate of ~1-1.5g/s. it's calibrated to have the burrs slightly chirping at "0"

my alignment verified by dial indicator.

jpsm (original poster)

#6: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

blkswn wrote:My go to settings to start dialing in on the EK43 are as follows. Burrs are perfectly aligned and just begin to chirp at #0 and I use 20g for espressos and typically 22g for V60s.

Espresso
0.3 for medium-light roast | Range: 0.15-0.35
0.5 for medium-dark roast | Range: 0.4-0.6

V60
7.5 for medium-light to medium | Range: 7.25-8.75 for medium-light to medium-dark

Cupping

Batch Brew
Max coarseness or very close to it depending on batch size.
I seem to have 1-15 numbers only on my dial

jpsm (original poster)

#7: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

namelessone wrote:For V60 you can try something like 9 o'clock - 8 o'clock depending on recipe. (#9-#12 on the new dial)
Is the new dial 0-15 only? I've seen some grinders with 0-20 adjustmends

Advertisement
jpsm (original poster)

#8: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

RyanJE wrote:I'm also between a 9-11 with burr touch at 0 for 20G v60s or Kalitas.

I think a lot depends on your pouring method as well.

Mine hasn't had but 2lbs on the burrs yet tho.
Mine too! Maybe around 200grams as of the moment. I have old beans around 3-4kg should I just season them? and at what setting should I run the beans?

jpsm (original poster)

#9: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

chris_n wrote:on stock EK burrs i am am between 1-2 (on the stock adjustment scale) for shot durations of ~40s at a flowrate of ~1-1.5g/s. it's calibrated to have the burrs slightly chirping at "0"

my alignment verified by dial indicator.
isnt 1-2 really fine already?

Denis

#10: Post by Denis »

1 small division on the scale of ek43 equals to 4.1 microns distance between burrs.

Let's say someone's grinder has 25 microns play on the stationary burr, and 25 microns play on the burr carrier (usually its more, but lets go with that).

50 microns in total means ~ 12.19. This equals to 1 big division (from 0 to 1) and 2 smaller ones.

So if you manage to align the grinder to perfect 0 you will grind with 12 smaller divisions smaller for the same grind size.

So saying that burrs are chirping at 0 and I grind at X is not an accurate measure to work in general for everyone. With the same grinder, espresso machine, coffee and extraction, after we aligned the ek43s to almost 0 we went from 2.1 to 1-0.8 on the dial.

Even if you have the stationary burr shimmed, you are still a lot off because most of the play is in the burr carrier, so w/o changing that piece, or sanding it your grinder is far from well aligned, or perfect aligned.

The burr carrier can be measured if you take off the chute and try to stick there a measure gauge and rotate by hand the ax from top, or on a Lathe like Titus does.