Mahlkonig EK43S settings for v60 and espresso - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jpsm (original poster)

#21: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

Thank you for everyones help! I finally got my ek43 dialed in for my v60. It had to be set on 11.5. Started from 6 all the way to 10 and it was extracting a little bit slow to my liking.

Freddy Camacho

#22: Post by Freddy Camacho »

While we are on the topic of carrier...do you know if there any differences between steel carrier or the black (ceramic?) Or why the change it on the newer production?

bettysnephew

#23: Post by bettysnephew »

Hopefully Frank (Terranova) will jump in with a definitive answer regarding burr carriers as he has seen all types. My understanding from Mahlkonig USA is that the EK43s has an aluminum rotating burr carrier (they call it a prebreaker) versus the old steel carrier. There is also a difference between the coffee and Turkish prebreaker as the Turkish crushes the beans finer than the coffee type before they get to the burrs. When the EK43s came to production there were also improvements made to the machining processes of the grinding chamber and associated parts to improve precision over the older models. Full disclosure, I have not checked my machine for alignment but I feel it is pretty good as when comparing it to my Kafatek Monolith Conical (2nd production) the tastes from my everyday medium roast beans are very close if I do my part. A hand alignment might change the taste profiles but I am really happy with how it works for now. The EK43s does do quite a bit better with light roasted beans than the KMC in extracting the flavor profiles in the espresso while the KMC shines more on darker roasts bringing out more bass (chocolate) flavors. I like both grinders for what they do. If I could have only one it would likely be the KMC as I drink more medium roasts but there is always the lack of availability of Kafatek due to luck of the draw when they become available. I would not be afraid to have the Turkish EK43s as my only espresso grinder as it is more available and works extremely well out of the box.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Freddy Camacho

#24: Post by Freddy Camacho »

Yes the winding (?) Is different for each type of burr...coffee has less and turkish has more (7 i think).

Is the black carrier superior than the old steel ones? Or cutting costs?

bettysnephew

#25: Post by bettysnephew »

Terranova has indicated in other posts that it is better but he also has some of his "magic" to apply and improve it and the machining of the grind chamber can be tweaked also.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586