Mahlkonig X54 Burrs into Baratza Vario/Forte?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Viktor

#1: Post by Viktor »

Do they even fit (it looks possible)?
Or has anyone found any other burr set that could fit the burr carriers?

I have only found the x54 burr set available from Mahlkonig directly:

https://www.mahlkoenig.de/collections/s ... teel-burrs

I'm curious to see how they would stack up against the profiles of the ceramic and steel burrs, especially on an aligned Vario/Forte.

BG burr for comparison:

Ceramic burr for comparison:

SteveRhinehart

#2: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I have only done the opposite - put Ditting steel burrs into an X54. They are the same size and have the same screw hole positions, so my gut says the reverse would probably work.

jb-0101

#3: Post by jb-0101 replying to SteveRhinehart »

What differences did you find between the Ditting steel bird compared to the X54s?

SteveRhinehart

#4: Post by SteveRhinehart »

The Mahlkonig burrs cut faster. My grind time with Dittings was around 35-40 seconds for an 18 gram dose, while with the Mahlkonig burrs it's closer to 10 seconds. Flavor is fairly similar, but I'm unable to do a side by side. Extraction is also fairly similar, with both sets easily achieving 22+% extraction with good flavor. But I like to pull long at 1:3 or more so your mileage may vary.

CoolHandLukey

#5: Post by CoolHandLukey replying to SteveRhinehart »

I run the ditting steel burrs in my vario for espresso and will give the mahlkonig x54 burrs a whirl when they arrive.
Death is not evil let alone the worst of evils. 'Live free or die'

Viktor (original poster)

#6: Post by Viktor (original poster) »

I am curious to see how this would turn out.

I remember only running the ceramics for a day before I chipped one burr while cleaning out and inspecting the chamber.

I completely forgot that they would do a 18g dose for espresso in ~14 seconds compared to the ~40 for the steel dittings.

The only thing to consider is if the more aggressive cutting would move the micro arm about (which with the more "gentle" dittings, its more a comfortable set and forget... May possibly have to get some of the lever shims with the x54s :D)

CoolHandLukey

#7: Post by CoolHandLukey »

The x54 burrs arrived and they fit the Baratza Vario like a glove. Without dialing-in, the initial shot was rather tasty. 18grams ground in ~18 seconds. I already served the home's morning coffee drinkers. Therefore, the dialing-in will start tomorrow.

In brief, the x54 steel espresso burrs seem an interesting option for the Baratza Vario.

bgnome

#8: Post by bgnome replying to CoolHandLukey »

Where did you order the Malkonig Burrs from?

CoolHandLukey

#9: Post by CoolHandLukey replying to bgnome »

I opted for a top listing when using a search engine with unquoted terms: 703738 Mahlkönig X54 Burr Set

Viktor (original poster)

#10: Post by Viktor (original poster) »

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.