Mahlkonig USA Alignment Tool EK43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cafe102

#1: Post by cafe102 »

I happened upon the Mahlkonig website today, their online part store is active. They have a burr alignment tool for the EK43, has anyone tried it yet?

bettysnephew

#2: Post by bettysnephew »

I asked about that tool when I purchased my EK43s last year. I was told it was for the older EK's and was no longer suitable for my machine as changes had been made to the burr carrier (prebreaker) and chamber. I suspect the tolerances of the inner burr supports now are much tighter but the tech did not elaborate.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

winslette

#3: Post by winslette replying to bettysnephew »

They have a new alignment tool that works with all pre-breaker variants. I have one coming in this week, but probably won't need it. May lend it out to people to test how well the alignment goes on grinders that are suspected of falling (more) out of alignment.

bettysnephew

#4: Post by bettysnephew »

Interesting, I am glad they have come up with a compatible alignment tool. I will check it out.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

CwD

#5: Post by CwD »

The only Mahlkonig alignment tool I've seen is for making the burrs concentric and not the far more important task of making the burrs parallel. The only tool that actually does that I'm aware of is Titus' sanding tool, which can also be done using the burr in their carrier a different way as a tool anyway.

winslette

#6: Post by winslette replying to CwD »

Correct, it only does concentricity.