Mahlkonig Tanzania (Ditting KR805) Alignment Help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff001

#1: Post by Jeff001 »

Hello all, I just purchased a Mahlkonig Tanzania with 80mm stock magnetic burrs. I tried using the white board method to check alignment as I've done with other grinders in the past. For the life of me, I cannot see where the burrs are touching or where the wear pattern is on the burrs. From what I can tell, the edges of the burrs have slight peaks and valleys rather than a flat surface, so any contact area (meaning each peak) is so small it's almost impossible to see any wear. I should note, the burrs definitely touch when doing the test, very clear metal on metal chirping can be heard.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have experience with these types of burrs and have suggestions on checking alignment? Or have I embarrassingly overlooked something very obvious?

TallDan

#2: Post by TallDan »

Those burrs do not have flats. (At least mine don't but they are old and worn out.) I don't think the marker test can be done on them.

Are you trying to solve a problem with the grind?

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Jeff001 (original poster)

#3: Post by Jeff001 (original poster) »

No problem necessarily, though I noticed a good bit of fines.

maxbmello

#4: Post by maxbmello »

I'd try breaking in the burrs properly (20-50lbs minimum) before worrying about fines in your new grinder.

Not sure about alignment methods, but give it some time to settle in first before worrying too much.

Tj.

#5: Post by Tj. »

I agree with breaking them in but also you can judge the amount of fines better by the speed of a pourover drawdown. You should be grinding a lot finer for coffees with the Tanzania that you were for your previous grinder. The whiteboard marker test is difficult to see but can still be done by looking at the peaks. I used a little magnifying glass. I also recently purchased a Tanzania and mine passed the marker test from stock so I don't think these grinders need alignment.

#6: Post by Jeff001 (original poster) »

I brewed again this morning and came out with a pretty butter cup along with muddiness on the sides of the filter, which I am assuming is an accumulation of fines. :( I know burrs need break in but would break in significantly reduce fines? I just don't want to try waiting it out and be stuck with a 2000 dollar machine that produces an inferior cup

maxbmello

#7: Post by maxbmello »

Yes, seasoning really will reduce fines and get you a tighter distribution. Especially with commercially rated ditting/mk burrs you have.

Do you have an estimate of how much you have run through so far? You can buy cheap grocery store coffee to help with break in process, or contact a local roaster to see if they have any stale trash beans you could use.

You'll probably notice having to adjust your grind setting as it continues to break in. I've found after about 50 lbs it tends to settle out a bit.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Tj.

#8: Post by Tj. »

Jeff001 wrote:I brewed again this morning and came out with a pretty butter cup along with muddiness on the sides of the filter, which I am assuming is an accumulation of fines. :( I know burrs need break in but would break in significantly reduce fines? I just don't want to try waiting it out and be stuck with a 2000 dollar machine that produces an inferior cup
I only used 4lbs of seasoning beans before I started using mine and I never saw muddiness unless I was severely overextracting and grinding too fine. I would expect the cup to still be very good without any break in. If it's bitter and muddy without the presence of boulders, maybe you're simply too fine?

I would open the burr carrier and remove the burrs, clean the carrier, and put them back in. It sounds like one of the burrs may be on a ridge and not seated in the carrier properly.

I usually drink light roasts between 4 and 7 on the dial depending on the lightness and dose with the grinder calibrated so that the burrs touch about 2 little bars from the finest setting.

#9: Post by Jeff001 (original poster) »

So I took the top burr off to attempt to reseat it and found a metal washer of some sort under it was shattered, probably not allowing the burr to sit flush. I'm very disappointed

Edit, it's actually a magnet

Edit 2: Also noticed there is a different peg on the bottom carrier for just one side, is it supposed to be like this or do you think this was refurbished and sold as a new unit?

Tj.

#10: Post by Tj. »

Jeff001 wrote:So I took the top burr off to attempt to reseat it and found a metal washer of some sort under it was shattered, probably not allowing the burr to sit flush. I'm very disappointed

Edit, it's actually a magnet

Edit 2: Also noticed there is a different peg on the bottom carrier for just one side, is it supposed to be like this or do you think this was refurbished and sold as a new unit?]
That broken magnet is frustrating.. The peg is normal though. I guess all you can do is send that photo to the distributor or to Mahlkonig. They should make things right for you. Mine has a tiny bit of play in the holder when you rotate the burrs by hand but the force of the beans on the burrs will hold them in one place. I don't know if that is normal but the quality in the cup is on par with my OE Apex so I can't complain.

Because there seems to be no forces applied on that magnet during operation, it must have been a defect at the factory and replacing even just the magnet makes sense and would be considerably easier than replacing the whole thing.