Mahlkonig Tanzania (Ditting KR805) Alignment Help - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff001 (original poster)

#11: Post by Jeff001 (original poster) »

Thanks TJ, that makes me feel much better

TallDan

#12: Post by TallDan »

The pegs look the same on mine, and I thought it was a little odd that the one was different when I took mine apart too. :)

A little bit of a bummer on the broken magnet, I'll bet it was just overtightened during assembly, probably fractured, then broke apart during shipping. I'm sure between the retailer and mahlkonig they'll send you a replacement magnet (maybe a few, since shipping will probably cost more than the part).

I'd bet that you're going to be fine to continue using the grinder either way, but if it were me, I'd probably take one of the magnets from the lower burr carrier and put use it in the top to replace the broken one for now. I'd think that two magnets are enough to keep the upper burr in place, but i'm sure it won't be a problem on the bottom.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Tj.

#13: Post by Tj. »

TallDan wrote:I'd bet that you're going to be fine to continue using the grinder either way, but if it were me, I'd probably take one of the magnets from the lower burr carrier and put use it in the top to replace the broken one for now. I'd think that two magnets are enough to keep the upper burr in place, but i'm sure it won't be a problem on the bottom.
I think that is a great idea. It will confirm only the magnet needs to be replaced and that replacing the magnet is easy to do.

After that, maybe check the alignment again. Checking alignment can be as simple as grinding coffee on the finest setting, just off chirping, to see the uniformity to check for a large problem. If it is able to grind espresso-fine without boulders, then we can be reasonably sure that the rest of the carrier is good. Then, the marker test (if you can figure out how to see it) will reveal just how good. If i remember correctly, the point of contact on my burrs was actually slightly towards the inner burr and not at all on the outer edge. I slathered on the dry-erase marker on top of the ridges of the burr, chirp it, then inspected the top of the edges.

Jeff001 (original poster)

#14: Post by Jeff001 (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestions, they are sending me out a new magnet. I noticed when getting close to touch point, I can hear it chirp but then contact stops for about half a second then starts again over and over. Almost like it's phasing in and out like a sine wave.

Even on 9, I still get muddiness. I was so sure this was going to be my end game grinder. Maybe I'll give the marker test another go.

Tj.

#15: Post by Tj. » replying to Jeff001 »

Wow. Muddiness at 9? You clearly received a lemon of a grinder which is very unlucky. The Tanzania is more grinder than anyone needs at home and certainly on par with the best out there. Yet, maybe this experience will have forever turned you off the this model which is understandable.

TallDan

#16: Post by TallDan »

Maybe post some pictures of what you're seeing? It's often not easy to see what's going on in pictures, but it might help here.