Mahlkonig Peak new owner questions

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cheech

#1: Post by cheech »

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long term lurker. The forums have provided a substantial amount of great information on my coffee journey over the years, so I appreciate everyone's help!

I recently decided to upgrade my grinder from a Mazzer Mini to a Mahlkonig Peak. The grinder arrived earlier this week, and well, the "fluffiness" and grind uniformity is quite remarkable. So far I am really enjoying the new grinder.

However, I seem to have a few items in which I would appreciate my fellow Peak owners to chime in on, as the issues seem odd for a commercial unit (I am using this as a home setup). First, I seem to somehow hit the max permissible operating cycle, and the unit will wait (a seemingly random amount of time) before allowing the next grind cycle. When this occurs, the screen goes back to the Peak heartbeat logo vs showing the time set for current shot setting. Also, when this occurs, I am unable to go into the settings menu, or change single/double setting. Is this typical for anyone else?

Today this occurred in my morning routine in which I dosed approx 4 doubles (along with one immediate brief purge to get stale coffee out of the throat). Mind you, I am working on a single group set up, and I take my time in the morning. Meaning, the 4 double routine took approx 8-10 minutes. Today it was after the 4 shot that I realized I was locked out of making changes to the grind time (or starting a new dose) for approx 30-45 seconds from prior dose.

Anyone else experience these kind of issues? Given this is a commercial unit, I am thinking I must have a software issue as this short of an operating cycle would never cut it in a cafe.

Thanks in advance for the help!

sluflyer06

#2: Post by sluflyer06 »

By the way you worded it it sounds like you ground 4 doubles all at once? (like 80g?), or was it double, prep, pull shot, repeat?

Also yes it sounds like a software bug to me, not sure if the Peak firmware can be upgraded but I believe it has a memory card slot so I'd assume it can be, might want to call and see if they have heard of this issue. There is a rep in california who is great but unfortunately I lost his #.

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

Coffee Fix..........(831) 438-9800......Brian.

cheech (original poster)

#4: Post by cheech (original poster) »

sluflyer06 wrote:By the way you worded it it sounds like you ground 4 doubles all at once? (like 80g?), or was it double, prep, pull shot, repeat
Hahaha - Yes, it was a double (19.5g), prep, pull shot, repeat x4.....Currently working with Hairbender, so a double shot for myself, and a lattes to take to work for both the wife and I.

cheech (original poster)

#5: Post by cheech (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Coffee Fix..........(831) 438-9800......Brian.
Thanks! I left Brian a message

cheech (original poster)

#6: Post by cheech (original poster) »

One other quick question while I await a response from Brian....Does the "release button/thermal overcurrent circuitbreaker" typically sit flush with the housing, or is it always extended/out? This was not overly clear in the manual, so wondering if it only should extend when the circuit has been tripped.

schwaggy

#7: Post by schwaggy »

Why not call Mahlkonig directly?
They've always picked up the phone to answer questions about my Peak.
(919) 383-0761

What you're describing doesn't sound normal.

cheech (original poster)

#8: Post by cheech (original poster) replying to schwaggy »

Thanks - Another member provided the direct number to Brian, who is the Mahlkonig USA service tech. I left him a message and am waiting to hear back.

sluflyer06

#9: Post by sluflyer06 »

cheech wrote:One other quick question while I await a response from Brian....Does the "release button/thermal overcurrent circuitbreaker" typically sit flush with the housing, or is it always extended/out? This was not overly clear in the manual, so wondering if it only should extend when the circuit has been tripped.
If it's the one on the back like my K30 Vario, then yes, it's always extended.

chipman

#10: Post by chipman »

schwaggy wrote:Why not call Mahlkonig directly?
They've always picked up the phone to answer questions about my Peak.
(919) 383-0761

What you're describing doesn't sound normal.
When you call mahlkonig direct you will be connected to Brian's business. He formally worked directly for Mahlkonig but is now an independent contractor who does all of Mahlkonig's service work, at least in this area.. I was just there yesterday picking up my k-30 that needed some service.