Mahlkonig Peak new owner questions - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
schwaggy

#11: Post by schwaggy »

chipman wrote:When you call mahlkonig direct you will be connected to Brian's business. He formally worked directly for Mahlkonig but is now an independent contractor who does all of Mahlkonig's service work, at least in this area.. I was just there yesterday picking up my k-30 that needed some service.
Interesting - even warranty service?

cheech (original poster)

#12: Post by cheech (original poster) replying to schwaggy »

I can't confirm if Brian is indeed a Mahlkonig employee or not, but when you dial the USA number, the only extension for service/parts connects you to Brian's voicemail. Unfortunately I am in Georgia, so don't know how helpful a CA tech will be other than tell me to ship the brand new unit to the west coast. I contacted the supplier as well (Chris coffee), so hopefully they can help expedite the process or handle internally.

cheech (original poster)

#13: Post by cheech (original poster) »

After playing around with the unit more after work yesterday, I finally discovered that it does not appear to be a software issue. Instead, the issue is the Start/Stop button not fully resetting each time. Basically it grinds down to zero, but doesnt always reset the dose clock (as the start button didnt fully reset/push forward). Hopefully its as simple as a spring that needs to be replaced. Anyone else have this go bad on their unit?

feyded

#14: Post by feyded »

Other than the one issue, how is the build quality overall, I was just looking at a new Peak, but instead opted for the Ceado E37S with new digital display and upgrades. Upgrading from a Eureka Atom currently, but heavily debated the Peak, just curious if it will do single dosing retention better than what the Atom does.

russel

#15: Post by russel »

cheech wrote:I can't confirm if Brian is indeed a Mahlkonig employee or not, but when you dial the USA number, the only extension for service/parts connects you to Brian's voicemail.
Brian has been the parts guy for Mahlkoenig for some time now (unless he got replaced by a new Brian!). Mahlkoenig USA is not a huge operation despite their parent's high level of visibility in the specialty coffee industry.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Brings

#16: Post by Brings »

My Peak had the button electronics go bad and required taking the whole button assembly apart. The process was a pain, but doable with small hands and some wrenching skills (good tool set helps as well). That said, your fix may just be some adjustments to the mechanism and would be relatively easier to do if that's the case (although I don't have the Peak anymore to remember the process exactly).

schwaggy

#17: Post by schwaggy »

I had a couple of issues with 2 new-from-box Peaks last year. Both had issues caused by shipping - loose connections, wires off. I guess it was Brian who I spoke with and he guided me to take them apart to fix them myself instead of shipping back. Easy-peasy and running fine for 1.5 years.

felyko

#18: Post by felyko »

There's definitely something wrong with your PEAK. Does the temperature show an abnormal value?

sluflyer06

#19: Post by sluflyer06 »

feyded wrote:Other than the one issue, how is the build quality overall, I was just looking at a new Peak, but instead opted for the Ceado E37S with new digital display and upgrades. Upgrading from a Eureka Atom currently, but heavily debated the Peak, just curious if it will do single dosing retention better than what the Atom does.
K30's/Peak's do not single dose, the design needs about 60g in the throat or things go south real quick. (I've tried single dosing this design, even with the burrs touching every shot was a gusher, I thought it was broken until i loaded it up with some beans and then everything worked fine)

cheech (original poster)

#20: Post by cheech (original poster) »

Brings wrote:My Peak had the button electronics go bad and required taking the whole button assembly apart. The process was a pain, but doable with small hands and some wrenching skills (good tool set helps as well). That said, your fix may just be some adjustments to the mechanism and would be relatively easier to do if that's the case (although I don't have the Peak anymore to remember the process exactly).
It's certainly possible that it really just requires a few adjustments to correct my unit. The button itself worked, however just didnt always extend itself forward enough after use to reset the shot/dose clock. Unfortunately, I have large hands, that probably would have made the repair a nightmare. Thankfully I purchased from Chris Coffee, and they were more than willing (and suggested) to complete the fix. From a customer service perspective, they have gone above and beyond in helping fix the unit in a very quick manner. Now I just look forward to getting it back in my house!