Mahlkönig K30 ES/Vario v. ProM v. (Baratza) VARIO Home

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zin1953

#1: Post by zin1953 »

So, yes, Mahlkönig has introduced the "Pro M" in Europe (or, at least, it's on the German ".de" website; not on the US ".com" website). English language content is available, including .PDF files, via the German site.

A couple of things, just for the sake of discussion, to take note of . . . or not, as per Mahlkönig's own information.

Grinding Disc Descriptions:
VARIO = 54 mm ceramic
ProM = 65 mm "tool steel"
K30 ES/Vario = 65 mm "MAHLKÖNIG-special tool steel: Special alloy with a better resistance against abrasion for longer lifetime"

(Approx.) Grinding Speed:
VARIO = 1.6 grams/second
ProM = 2.3 grams/second
K30 ES/Vario = 3.5-4.8 grams/second

Maximum Recommended Daily Grinding Capacity:
• With the VARIO you should not grind more than 50 double shots per day.
• With the ProM you should not grind more than 150 double shots of espresso per day.
With the K30:
• Single-phase operation 200-240V: 4 seconds grinding / 16 seconds pause (= 3 double-shots per minute)
• Single-phase operation 100-120V: 4 seconds grinding / 26 seconds pause (= 2 double-shot per minute)
• Three-phase operation: 4 seconds grinding / 6 seconds pause (6 double-shots per minute)

FWIW . . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

akallio

#2: Post by akallio »

One more: ProM has belt drive, but if my memory serves right K30 has direct drive.

Richard

#3: Post by Richard »

zin1953 wrote:So, yes, Mahlkönig has introduced the "Pro M" . . .
Has there yet been any ProM sighting in the wild, i.e., any hands-on knowledge or experience?
-- Richard

Nik

#4: Post by Nik »

I spoke with the local dealer on Friday and he stated that they would be available next week...before Christmas. He passed this information on from Mahlkonig. He stated they are still at the dock awaiting approval.

I wouldn't bet on it!

Richard

#5: Post by Richard »

I have all sort of questions about the ProM. If those 65mm burrs are the same as those in the K30, it might be a viable replacement for my K30, depending on several other factors.

There have been WAF issues with the K30, and I must say the Cremina sitting next to it looks like a small mantis ready to pounce on an oversized R2-D2. The design and dimensions of the ProM could address several issues. :roll:
-- Richard

Nik

#6: Post by Nik »

Just the opposite here with the wife. I think she would pitch me out before I could take the K30 away. The custom hopper brought the height of it down to around 16 inches which makes it much more acceptable size wise.

I am optimistic about the Pro M as long as the construction is solid. I am not looking for it to replace my K30 but as a second grinder to use for drip or different espressos.

Hope it performs well.

Mark08859

#7: Post by Mark08859 »

Richard wrote:There have been WAF issues with the K30, and I must say the Cremina sitting next to it looks like a small mantis ready to pounce on an oversized R2-D2.
WAF = ???? Thanks.

da gino

#8: Post by da gino »

WAF = Wife acceptance factor

yellow_speedster

#9: Post by yellow_speedster »

Richard wrote:Has there yet been any ProM sighting in the wild, i.e., any hands-on knowledge or experience?
Yep, just got one yesterday. It is a very nice grinder, very fluffy grinds and really no static issues at all.
The grinder starts automatic after inserting the portafilter and gives you a single portion. Tipping the start button once and then insert will give a double portion.
I did not have a lot of time playing with the grinder but first the impression is great.

Here are some pictures I made.

Frank

portamento

#10: Post by portamento »

Beautiful -- thanks for the update, Frank. Have you taken any pictures of the burrs?

How is the ProM priced?
Ryan