Mahlkonig K30 Alignment and Burr Selection

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rnshaw

#1: Post by rnshaw »

I use a K30 for blends. I get fairly good results, and it works well when I am making several drinks at parties. I am considering upgrading the stock burrs, but I see very little discussion about SSP burrs for a K30. Neither do I see any conversation about burr alignment for a K30. Any pointers, advice, or experience would be appreciated.

mike01

#2: Post by mike01 »

The stock K30 burrs are really good. I'm not sure going to an aftermarket burr would improve results. https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-ek43-part-two/

" Look at the K30's curve. [Brown] It's actually really impressive, and totally surprised me.
It's so much closer to the EK43 than it is to the Robur [Green] or Anfim [Red]. The taste results matched this. We were able to get a much higher extraction and sweeter shot with the K30 than either of those competitors. Its maximum is 800um - 800um less than the Robur's and 1000um less than the Anfim's; and only 100um or so larger than the EK43's. Don't just look at the minimum and maximum though; the mean and mode values, and the difference between them is very important too."

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

mike01 wrote:The stock K30 burrs are really good. I'm not sure going to an aftermarket burr would improve results. https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-ek43-part-two/
That may depend on the roast level of the coffees you use. I recently replaced my K30 with an Anfin SC Ti & I definitely prefer the shots from the Anfin but most of my coffees are medium roasts. Since they are comparing the grinders to an EK, pulling 50g+ shots & based on the tasting notes I imagine they were using a fashionable light roast.
LMWDP 267

rnshaw (original poster)

#4: Post by rnshaw (original poster) »

Thanks! I appreciate the input.