Mahlkonig EK43S Chamber Alignment Confirmation

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
blondica73

#1: Post by blondica73 »

My understanding is that the new EK43S chamber is CNC made and is well aligned. Could owners of EK43S who checked chamber alignment confirm that?

Eiern

#2: Post by Eiern »

The machined part is usually very flat BUT you would need to check that the shaft is running right and that it is aligned. I have checked my EK43S with Titus' tool without burrs mounted and mine is perfect, only movement is where the CNC machine stopped and a sliight circle is a little off from perfectly flat. When burrs are mounted the alignment is great in my case.

The stock burr carrier however is a different story.

blondica73 (original poster)

#3: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to Eiern »

I have the Titus carrier, knowing that the stock carrier is still lacking proper alignment. That is why I asked about the machined part alignment.

RobindG

#4: Post by RobindG »

This surface, where the static burr is mounted, of my EK (sold) is within 0,02mm
★ Helpful

#5: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to RobindG »

That's a nice holder for the dial indicator.

winslette

#6: Post by winslette replying to blondica73 »

Agreed, RobindG, do you have the file that it was printed from?

#7: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

It looks like stock, unmodified, EK43S chambers have tight tolerances and don't need sanding nor shimming, just a Titus burr carrier to be well aligned.

cdo

#8: Post by cdo replying to blondica73 »

Is there any forum posts one can link for some measurements of carrier alignment? I have always heard Titus is better and I am sure it is I just wonder how big the difference truly is.

#9: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to cdo »

Got these instructions from a forum member, I haven't tried it, but I will:

The best and simplest way to check alignment (also check recalibration) is using feeler gauge. I recommend the 0.1mm one. I take the knocker off, and then can easily access to the burrs and carrier with finger. Make sure the plug is off... Then can feel the axial alignment with finger. If I remember correctly, human fingers can detect down to 30 micron. And use the feel gauge to insert between to burrs, change the dial setting to get it slightly stuck then rotate the upper burr to check all round the burr. Meanwhile, I just take note of the highest and lowest dial number and then can compute the runout. I hope this can help!

nicholasnumbers

#10: Post by nicholasnumbers »

My EK43S came aligned horribly. Granted I bought mine when they first came out a couple of years ago, and have heard that they may have gotten better since.

The shop I sold it to re-aligned it with shims, and said that there was one really high spot, which took a lot of work to get right. I don't regret selling it.

Nick