Mahlkonig EK43S Chamber Alignment Confirmation - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Chencheh wrote:Just curious does this method actually work for moving burr? The burr carrier is the moving part in EK, even if it is not aligned, the marker put on the moving burr will still be rubbed off totally
Not necessarily. If one area is higher, only that area is rubbed off.

Chencheh

#22: Post by Chencheh »

But that is for static burr? When putting marker on the static burr, the highest point will be rubbed off. But when putting marker on moving burr, every teeth on moving burr will rub against that point. Eventually all the marker you out on the moving burr will be erased no matter aligned or not. Maybe I am wrong but you can definitely check with the dial indicator and get a more solid number

Supporter ❤

#23: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I used this video as reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-cf0Iack5Q

MinistryofEspresso

#24: Post by MinistryofEspresso »

Chencheh you're right. Using the marker technique is a good place to start; however, users have to mark up both sides to see where the marker is rubbed off. In this example, there is likely a high spot on the the static burr. Once the high spot on the static burr is discovered, the burr can be rotated 120 degrees to see if the high spot is on the burr or the motor housing (in the case of the static burr).

Supporter ❤

#25: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to MinistryofEspresso »

Good idea, I'll mark up both sides and see where the marker rubs off, then proceed from there.

Supporter ❤

#26: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I either got lucky or Mahlkonig is getting better. I purchased the Titus alignment tool and measured the flatness of the chamber with the Turkish burrs installed, it was 0.025 mm. I rotated the static burrs 240 degrees and went down to less than 0.015 mm, amazing. This is with the stock Turkish burrs.
Then, using the stock carrier, I used the marker test and I was amazed that no high spots showed up on the carrier, it cleared the marker evenly all around, perfect, just like the picture showed a couple of threads ago.
Then ran the sound test, hear for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5_zeZcEecw

I also aligned it radially using feeler gaudes. I feel good about my EK43S being extremely well aligned.

Supporter ❤

#27: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Replaced the stock carrier with Titus carrier, grinding needed to be finer at 4.25 vs 5.25 with stock carrier.