Mahlkonig EK43S Chamber Alignment Confirmation - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
KG4NEL

#11: Post by KG4NEL »

cdo wrote:Is there any forum posts one can link for some measurements of carrier alignment? I have always heard Titus is better and I am sure it is I just wonder how big the difference truly is.
It's about the last thing from an objective source, but Titus' Instagram feed does include a lot of pre-post dial indicator videos.

IMO, the carrier is worth it.

cdo

#12: Post by cdo replying to KG4NEL »

I am sure it is, it's more so that I acquired an EK for a very reasonable price and am debating whether I wanna sink in the amount that I would need to in order to have it work as a grinder at home, I have the old cast carrier so I am sure it's pretty far off and then adding on burrs and things get pretty pricey...

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to cdo »

I'm not sure the incremental change in taste is warranted the additional upgrades. It's more of a personal choice.

KG4NEL

#14: Post by KG4NEL »

cdo wrote:I am sure it is, it's more so that I acquired an EK for a very reasonable price and am debating whether I wanna sink in the amount that I would need to in order to have it work as a grinder at home, I have the old cast carrier so I am sure it's pretty far off and then adding on burrs and things get pretty pricey...
If you know a machinist nearby, the old prebreakers can be put on a lathe and machined to the same precision.

Yeah, SSPs aren't cheap, but they're works of art :)

cdo

#15: Post by cdo replying to KG4NEL »

I think its more difficult than that as the pre breaker is mounted internally rather than externally, wish I did though as I have a shaft for another grinder that I need made. This grinder does have the old cast burrs so they would perform well for pourover, might need to send them in the be sharpened though.

Supporter ❤

#16: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I bought a Titus alignment tool and will report back once I measure the chamber flatness, I might even post a video.

Supporter ❤

#17: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I ran the marker test on the stock burr carrier and was surprised how flat it was, see below

cdo

#18: Post by cdo »

My whole frustration with the EK43 is the number of variables. In this case, your from plate screw tightness can affect alignment, grind chamber/motor screws can affect alignment, let alone burr carrier, burrs, etc. It is hard to know where to draw the line.

Supporter ❤

#19: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I ran this test twice and had the same result, I wanted to make sure it was not a fluke. Plate screws tighten at 4nm torque, burr screws at 3 nm torque.
I also ran the test for the chamber and seems very well aligned, forgot to take pictures. Once I get the Titus alignment next week I'll know for sure how well the chamber is aligned.

Chencheh

#20: Post by Chencheh »

Just curious does this method actually work for moving burr? The burr carrier is the moving part in EK, even if it is not aligned, the marker put on the moving burr will still be rubbed off totally