Mahlkonig EK43: Standard vs. SSP burrs for brewing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bytheway

#1: Post by bytheway »

Hi All, I know someone selling his SSP EK43 burrs because he has found he much prefers the standard burrs for BREW / filter. Anyone have any experience to add to this? Thanks.

malling

#2: Post by malling »

I'll get some soon, so i'll let you know when I have recieved a pair, but from what I have been told by other users, it seems like ssp deliver a bit higher extraction due to a more uniform particle distribution. Whether that is a good thing or not, time will tell.

JackHK

#3: Post by JackHK »

bytheway wrote:Hi All, I know someone selling his SSP EK43 burrs because he has found he much prefers the standard burrs for BREW / filter. Anyone have any experience to add to this? Thanks.
Very intersting :idea: just info i am looking for, what is the difference.. is the ssp burrs more like espresso style grind?

malling

#4: Post by malling »

like the opposite, if you by espresso grind, you mean a more spread out particle distribution, Gorilla burrs seem to be more in that direction

bytheway (original poster)

#5: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

malling wrote:I'll get some soon, so i'll let you know when I have recieved a pair, but from what I have been told by other users, it seems like ssp deliver a bit higher extraction due to a more uniform particle distribution. Whether that is a good thing or not, time will tell.
Great, look forward to hearing how you go...are you getting silver knight? Are you doing espresso or pour over more?

bakafish

#6: Post by bakafish »

bytheway wrote:Hi All, I know someone selling his SSP EK43 burrs because he has found he much prefers the standard burrs for BREW / filter.
Are the standard burrs old version or new version after mid 2014? Please refer to this post: Looking for Confirmation on Used EK43 Identity. My EK43S with new version coffee burrs creates more fines than my Mahlkonig Guatemala does in the pour over range. I also found that with the same extraction yield and brew ratio, the EK43S has less flavor complexity, intensity, and aftertaste than the Guatemala. I have to add 3% extraction yield to get the same flavor complexity and intensity, but it also leads to more over extraction taste. I think the extraction yield from the fines on the EK43S is much more than on the Gutatemala, so I grind coarser to reduce fines and segmented pouring to compensate the extraction yield from the coarser grind. Finally I can barely get about the same quality with the same extraction yield with the EK43S and Guatemala.

The new version coffee burrs are actually espresso burrs. I adjusted the burrs rub point at 0 and pulled shots at 1.3, every 0.1 gap about 5 seconds difference for the 1:2 brew ratio. I think the new coffee burrs and Turkish burrs are not that much differences. https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_kTeaSuLZ/
Since the SSP burrs espresso dial range is bigger than the stock EK43 burrs, I don't think they can produce less fines and better pour over coffee though the particle size distribution looks almost perfect.

I am looking for an old version coffee burrs set although there are not enough information to prove it creates less fines and grinds highly evenly in the pour over range.

ryuemura

#7: Post by ryuemura »

Silver Knight is for brewed coffee, while the Red Speed is for espresso. I've been considering the SSP burrs for my EK43, but so far my brews have been tasting really good and hitting solid numbers (1.35 TDS, 19% - 20.7% EY). No reason to switch the burrs yet.

ryuemura

#8: Post by ryuemura »

bakafish wrote:The new version coffee burrs are actually espresso burrs. I adjusted the burrs rub point at 0 and pulled shots at 1.3, every 0.1 gap about 5 seconds difference for the 1:2 brew ratio. I think the new coffee burrs and Turkish burrs are not that much differences. https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_kTeaSuLZ/
I spoke to Mahlkonig about this about a year ago and they said that the new coffee burrs would be fairly similar to their Turkish burrs.

Rytopa

#9: Post by Rytopa »

bakafish wrote:Are the standard burrs old version or new version after mid 2014? Please refer to this post: Looking for Confirmation on Used EK43 Identity. My EK43S with new version coffee burrs creates more fines than my Mahlkonig Guatemala does in the pour over range. I also found that with the same extraction yield and brew ratio, the EK43S has less flavor complexity, intensity, and aftertaste than the Guatemala. I have to add 3% extraction yield to get the same flavor complexity and intensity, but it also leads to more over extraction taste. I think the extraction yield from the fines on the EK43S is much more than on the Gutatemala, so I grind coarser to reduce fines and segmented pouring to compensate the extraction yield from the coarser grind. Finally I can get about the same quality with the same extraction yield with the EK43S and Guatemala.

The new version coffee burrs are actually espresso burrs. I adjusted the burrs rub point at 0 and pulled shots at 1.3, every 0.1 gap about 5 seconds difference for the 1:2 brew ratio. I think the new coffee burrs and Turkish burrs are not that much differences. https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_kTeaSuLZ/
Since the SSP burrs espresso dial range is bigger than the stock EK43 burrs, I don't think they can produce better pour over coffee though the particle size distribution shows they are almost perfect.

I am looking for an old version coffee burrs set although there are not enough information to prove it creates less fines and grinds highly evenly in the pour over range.
Mind sharing your pour over grind setting? I am also using a EK43S, currently at Dial 10# for V60 pour over

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Terranova replying to Rytopa »

The EK43 S has a CNC machined housing, they are mostly accurate by <0,03mm but the burr carrier varies by around 0,1mm and if you believe it or not, this has a much bigger impact on boulders and fines than burr geometry between turkish, coffee, 2nd generation coffee burrs, SSP or Gorilla.
Every local machine shop with a lathe can fix this.