Mahlkonig EK43: Standard vs. SSP burrs for brewing - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ripvanmd

Postby ripvanmd » Sep 12, 2018, 10:56 pm

I have a set on the way! Hoping to install them soon and align them to the best of my limited ability and patience. Also have a set of sharpened and coated original Kaffe burrs.....sounds like a lot of aligning...

ripvanmd

Postby ripvanmd » Sep 14, 2018, 10:35 pm

Just a first look....

Original sharpened and coated brew burrs on top, new ssp burrs on the bottom....

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Sep 16, 2018, 12:35 pm

Are the originals the old coffee burrs? Do you plan to compare them or just use the new SSP brew burrs?

ripvanmd

Postby ripvanmd » Sep 16, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originals are the "Coffee burrs" and the new are the less uniform ssp burrs. I do plan on comparing. Have a new burr carrier coming from Titus as my old one is a little worse for wear (rusted).

dergitarrist

Postby dergitarrist » Sep 17, 2018, 10:36 am

Another image for comparison... my old stock coffee burrs and redspeed SSP burrs:

LMWDP #324

SpecC

Postby SpecC » Sep 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Never mind. Figured it out

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Sep 18, 2018, 12:58 pm

Recently I'm finding that most coffee I've tried that is "roasted for filter" seems to taste the best between 17-20% EY and you can get a very clean brew from SSP burrs using a coarser grind (around 12 on my EK43 S). Many just doesn't seem to taste good at 21%+ EY, even extraction or not, though I've had the odd one which tasted great at very high EY. So maybe it's mostly a roasting/solubility issue? People seem to prefer stock burrs because they grind coarser, so you can't use the same setting for both.

Of course the question is do you really need an EK43 to get a tasty 18-19% EY out as even a hand grinder is quite capable of achieving it.

NoStream

Postby NoStream » replying to namelessone » Sep 18, 2018, 3:19 pm

Using which brewer? I find that Chemex brews tend to fall apart past 20% or so, v60 around 21, Wave around 23-24. If a roast falls apart at a lower EY than expected, that suggests the coffee is underdeveloped internally. Some coffees taste nice at 20% but green at 23%.

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Sep 19, 2018, 4:35 am

Was referring to drip brews, but I don't think brewing method itself matters much, has to do more with roast & solubility as you mentioned.

dergitarrist

Postby dergitarrist » Sep 19, 2018, 5:43 am

namelessone wrote:Of course the question is do you really need an EK43 to get a tasty 18-19% EY out as even a hand grinder is quite capable of achieving it.

Exactly my impression as well... I get very tasty brews from my Comandante at the office. I'd say for the most part, they're on par with what I make with my EKK43 at home and the EK43 at the café I work at on the side.

If I try to really tickle out every last bit of extraction, the EK brews "hold together" a little longer, though. It's not my preference to push every brew past 21% EY or so but with some coffees it's interesting to see where you can take them. The EK stays clear and sweet for longer while other grinders can get dry and bitter earlier... to me, that's all there is to the myth, really.
LMWDP #324