Mahlkonig EK43: Standard vs. SSP burrs for brewing - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#41: Post by bakafish »

SpecC wrote:Is there anyway to buy the old coffee burrs? I only make pourovers with my ek and would prefer the best performance for brewed coffee.
I asked Caffe Limes and they simply said "No". :(

SpecC

#42: Post by SpecC replying to bakafish »

I guess the next best option is to see if SSP's new offering will pan out.

andriusp3

#43: Post by andriusp3 »

Hi

Here are the burrs for EK43 for Filter coffee.
https://www.verybarista.com/mahlkonigek43c

namelessone

#44: Post by namelessone replying to andriusp3 »

Who is the Manufacturer of these burrs?? On the eBay ad it says:

"NEW, Burrs for Mahlkonig EK43, EK43 coffee grinders. 98 mm, K110 Long Life Steel.
Made in Italy.
Diameter external: 98mm
Rotation: Left
Three holes.
These are not OEM Mahlkonig burrs, but they fit perfectly, made from the same material, with same machines and within few hours drive from Mahlkonig factory."

Mahlkonig is in Hamburg, and Italy isn't "a few hours drive" from Hamburg

andriusp3

#45: Post by andriusp3 »

Hi

All I'm saying that making burrs is not a rocket science. The technology hasn't change much last 10-20 years. People, materials, precision and quality control makes a difference and not the brand. Non OEM manufacturer in Italy has to make burrs more precise than original Mahlkonig just to keep up with the competition. Without better quality, no volume. Without volume of sales they wouldn't have a good price, without good price, no sales. An so on.

namelessone

#46: Post by namelessone »

Does anyone with EK43 standard burrs and/or SSP burrs have access to a Kruve? If so, how much % do you have under 400 when using the standard burrs at your V60 range?

dergitarrist

#47: Post by dergitarrist »

andriusp3 wrote:Hi

Here are the burrs for EK43 for Filter coffee.
https://www.verybarista.com/mahlkonigek43c
These look like the new coffee burrs. If I didn't own two pairs of the old ones, I'd go with SSP.
LMWDP #324

malling

#48: Post by malling »

andriusp3 wrote:Hi

All I'm saying that making burrs is not a rocket science. The technology hasn't change much last 10-20 years. People, materials, precision and quality control makes a difference and not the brand. Non OEM manufacturer in Italy has to make burrs more precise than original Mahlkonig just to keep up with the competition. Without better quality, no volume. Without volume of sales they wouldn't have a good price, without good price, no sales. An so on.
True, however the italian burr manufactures still haven't learnt to make or design a burrset that comes even close to what the "german" manufactures is cable off.

For me italian made is negative, as it translates to poorly designed, poorly executed and minimal quality control.

I would not invest in anything italian if precision is of utmost importence.

kolu

#49: Post by kolu »

got a spare extended-life 64mm burrs for my MDX from Italy, Food Frendly & so on, half year ago... after trying to align them I found out they are both bent (like U shape, if you look from side, making contact with flat surface in just two points opposite each other).

Mazzer is, as far as I know, the only Italian burr manufacturer capable of making decently precise burrs. all the other stuff that went through my hands _except_ for the OEM stuff (Ceado, Eureka/Nuova Simonelli, Compak) was unfinished garbage (especialy Fiorenzatos and cheap Macaps), with the only exception of the most expensive coated (TiN) burrs. non OEM manufacturers in Italy are totally OK with just stamping the crap and selling it really cheap because 99% of market is totally fine with that.

namelessone

#50: Post by namelessone »

Looks like SSP has a new burr set specifically for brewed. It has lower uniformity, shorter cutting edges but overall not that different geometry from the original, as told by SSP themselves:

I'm told by SSP that difference is not that significant, so I have no plans to get it but it might be interesting for those who do not already have the SSP burrset.