Mahlkonig EK43: Standard vs. SSP burrs for brewing - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cebseb

#21: Post by cebseb »

bytheway wrote:Interesting, where have you got this data? Will the stock burrs still be really sharp if I only grind 50-100g coffee per day for 10 years? I have an EK43 with stock burrs at home and this is the amount I grind (I only do filter coffee, so light roasts). Aligned well using Titus alignment tool.

Can anyone say that their pour over / filter brews are heaps better with the SSP over the stock burrs?
I could not tell any appreciable difference. I am still using the stock burrs for pourover.

malling

#22: Post by malling »

bytheway wrote:Interesting, where have you got this data? Will the stock burrs still be really sharp if I only grind 50-100g coffee per day for 10 years? I have an EK43 with stock burrs at home and this is the amount I grind (I only do filter coffee, so light roasts). Aligned well using Titus alignment tool.

Can anyone say that their pour over / filter brews are heaps better with the SSP over the stock burrs?
Ek43 is rated at 14,300lbs or approximately 6400kg

The burrs are made of really hard steel, so you won't ever ever need to change them.

From what I have tasted so far the ssp burrs dos not deliver a better results in the cup, not even if you had a sub par ek43 coffee burrs. Different yes, better no.

If you grinder is well aligned and still get low ext. yield and poor particle distribution, I would consider it, but if that is not the case and you get plus 84% in the middelfraction 400-1100um with a Kruve then it's not worth it.

With a kruve you might hit 90% at a very, very fine filter grind if it's well aligned and with the right coffee. However you'll get a very fragile cup as a result with redicules high ext. yield. but I'm not sure you'll enjoy it. A less unimodual grind eg. coarser seem to be more desirable with most coffees why many grind at 9'oclock and coarser with ssp burrs.

Advertisement
SpecC

#23: Post by SpecC »

I have an Ek43s with ssp redspeed burrs, but I've never used it with standard burrs. I'm wondering if I should buy a set of mahlkonig coffee burrs and give it a try. I only drink pourovers/brewed coffee.

namelessone

#24: Post by namelessone »

I have an EK43 S w/ Silver Knight SSP, from Titus with the machined burr carrier and aligned. I also have the coffee burrs but have never used them and didn't dare to take the burrs out since they're aligned. I can get around 85% at my pour over setting between 400-1200 using Kruve (#10, V60 16g to 260g). Main difference with previous grinder (Vario with steel burrs) is that almost there are no large particles.

You can hit quite high EY and similar TDS by grinding finer (#9) and going with a lower brew ratio (i.e 14g to 260g), however this doesn't seem to work well with all beans and sometimes it doesn't taste great, not in an astringent/bitter kind of way but just overly acidic (not sour) or with a heavy mouthfeel. Sometimes it can taste really good, for example I had a Kenya which I extracted to 24% with 14g to 260g that was just great. Even at those ratios of 53g/L I was hitting 1.45% TDS!

I've compared my brews to some cafes that use EK43 with V60 and similar recipes, such as Prufrock in London and Prolog in Copenhagen, and my brews don't seem as clear and transparent. Maybe SSP burrs are producing more fines?

namelessone

#25: Post by namelessone »

To resurrect this topic.. For those who have experience with both SSP and non-SSP burrs in the EK43, do you notice any difference in cup clarity? Talking mostly about undissolved solids/silt in the cup.

bytheway (original poster)

#26: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

malling wrote:A less unimodual grind eg. coarser seem to be more desirable with most coffees why many grind at 9'oclock and coarser with ssp burrs.
9 o'clock, like a 6.5 on a 0-11 EK dial? I'm usually somewhere between 8.0 to 9.0 on the 0-11 EK dial depending on brew method/recipe.

I've had correspondence with Hansung that he is developing his "bimodal" burr for brew / filter coffee...he says this gives "complexity"...I hope it produces a nice cup! Interested in putting these in a Monolith Flat Max using a lower RPM than possible on an EK.
namelessone wrote:Talking mostly about undissolved solids/silt in the cup.
if you want a cleaner cup with less undissolved solids, I've been using the Melodrip for a couple of weeks and it is amazing for this!

namelessone

#27: Post by namelessone »

bytheway wrote:9 o'clock, like a 6.5 on a 0-11 EK dial? I'm usually somewhere between 8.0 to 9.0 on the 0-11 EK dial depending on brew method/recipe.

I've had correspondence with Hansung that he is developing his "bimodal" burr for brew / filter coffee...he says this gives "complexity"...I hope it produces a nice cup! Interested in putting these in a Monolith Flat Max using a lower RPM than possible on an EK.
What's the reasoning behind this? Never heard bimodal is better..

if you want a cleaner cup with less undissolved solids, I've been using the Melodrip for a couple of weeks and it is amazing for this!
Yes I used a similar homemade version before, it does seem to have impact. Still waiting for the delivery on mine. But I was interested in comparing how the grinder performs out of the box. The finer you grind you have more undissolved solids in the cup, regardless of the extraction and I think this contributes most of the "grainy" flavours you experience when doing pour overs.

Advertisement
SpecC

#28: Post by SpecC »

bytheway wrote:

Are you using the recipe in the Melodrip insert?

bytheway (original poster)

#29: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

Yes, recipe B

SpecC

#30: Post by SpecC replying to bytheway »

Are you getting over 4 min brew time?