Mahlkonig EK43: Standard vs. SSP burrs for brewing - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#11: Post by bakafish »

Rytopa wrote:Mind sharing your pour over grind setting? I am also using a EK43S, currently at Dial 10# for V60 pour over
Exactly the same. I'm also using 10# for V60 and Tetsu Kasuya's 2016 WBrC method, but my burrs just ground about 1 pound and the physical zero is going finer. Now the burrs do not rub at dial 0#.

Rytopa

#12: Post by Rytopa »

Terranova wrote:The EK43 S has a CNC machined housing, they are mostly accurate by <0,03mm but the burr carrier varies by around 0,1mm and if you believe it or not, this has a much bigger impact on boulders and fines than burr geometry between turkish, coffee, 2nd generation coffee burrs, SSP or Gorilla.
Every local machine shop with a lathe can fix this.
Thanks for the info, would using the DIY sanding method as shown below help fix the burr carrier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1QwgxGLpc

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Terranova »

Rytopa wrote:Thanks for the info, would using the DIY sanding method as shown below help fix the burr carrier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1QwgxGLpc
No, that doesn't work for the moving burr.

malling

#14: Post by malling »

ryuemura wrote:Silver Knight is for brewed coffee, while the Red Speed is for espresso. I've been considering the SSP burrs for my EK43, but so far my brews have been tasting really good and hitting solid numbers (1.35 TDS, 19% - 20.7% EY). No reason to switch the burrs yet.
Where have you gotten that info from?

ryuemura

#15: Post by ryuemura replying to malling »

Hansung from SSP.

I asked about their different coatings and which would best suit my needs.

"98 mm burr set for EK43 - (silver knight coating is standard)

both are basically coated. we are using silver coating for brewing or bulk grinding, Red speed coating for espresso usage by technical spec (coefficient of friction, Hardness)"

bytheway (original poster)

#16: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

Terranova wrote:The EK43 S has a CNC machined housing, they are mostly accurate by <0,03mm but the burr carrier varies by around 0,1mm and if you believe it or not, this has a much bigger impact on boulders and fines than burr geometry between turkish, coffee, 2nd generation coffee burrs, SSP or Gorilla.
Every local machine shop with a lathe can fix this.
Hi Frank, can you give the figures from the standard EK43 from say 2-4 years ago? Do you know any machine shops you recommend in Australia? Thanks you are a great service to the community, I have one of your EK alignment kits. Do you think shims can cause warping of the burr over time?

malling

#17: Post by malling »

ryuemura wrote:Hansung from SSP.

I asked about their different coatings and which would best suit my needs.

"98 mm burr set for EK43 - (silver knight coating is standard)

both are basically coated. we are using silver coating for brewing or bulk grinding, Red speed coating for espresso usage by technical spec (coefficient of friction, Hardness)"
So basically the difference is the hardness and friction capability of the coating. I guess the reason SSP/Hansung said what he said is that bulk grinding has a higher throughput those need a coating that gives a longer burr life and with a low as possible friction, therefore using a DLC costing like Silver Knight. While espresso this isn't as vital as the throughput is substantial lower both in overall as well as at a time grinding.

For a home user however, Silver Knight seems like a bit of an overkill, especially when you know that stock EK burrs easily last a lifetime with a normal home usage, with a DLC coating it would last for a few generations!

Even if I consumed 1kg of coffee beans a day, the stock burrs would almost last two decades :lol:

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#18: Post by mivanitsky »

I've used Red Speed and Silver Knight 98mm SSP burrs on Monolith Flat MAX. No difference really in the cup really. I think grind chamber purges clean a little faster with the Silver Knight burrs.

EK43 must be modified to obtain the benefit of high precision burrs, as described above.

#19: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

malling wrote:Even if I consumed 1kg of coffee beans a day, the stock burrs would almost last two decades :lol:
Interesting, where have you got this data? Will the stock burrs still be really sharp if I only grind 50-100g coffee per day for 10 years? I have an EK43 with stock burrs at home and this is the amount I grind (I only do filter coffee, so light roasts). Aligned well using Titus alignment tool.

Can anyone say that their pour over / filter brews are heaps better with the SSP over the stock burrs?

#20: Post by bytheway (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:I've used Red Speed and Silver Knight 98mm SSP burrs on Monolith Flat MAX. No difference really in the cup really. I think grind chamber purges clean a little faster with the Silver Knight burrs.

EK43 must be modified to obtain the benefit of high precision burrs, as described above.
Emailed Hansung recently, he said they are developing a new burr aimed at brew / pour over / filter, which has a bimodal distribution for "complexity"...he says that some people want this. I most certainly don't, I prefer the unimodal (plus fines, which I would prefer not be there!) distribution for filter coffee.