Mahlkonig EK43 factory taste

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bosiemoncrieff

#1: Post by bosiemoncrieff » Aug 10, 2019, 3:38 am

After two years with a trusty Breville Smart Grinder Pro I saved my pennies and just got an EK43s. I'm curious how many pounds of coffee I should expect to grind before the factory taste wears off. The first coffee was undrinkable. I didn't bother brewing the second. The third was still unpleasantly metallic. Should I just get a big five pound bag of Costco swill, grind it, and take it to the break room at work?

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u » Aug 10, 2019, 6:22 am

Not sure what factory taste is. If your coffee is undrinkable I wouldn't put that down to entirely to the burrs not being seasoned .
If you wanna put some oily beans down it be my guest but they will leak a residue too.
When i got mine i put 10kg in it, but i wasnt seeing a factory taste before this .
The EK is a different thing and i wouldnt be trying to pull short brew ratio espresso with it , that will not lead to tasty .

There will no follow a series of posts relating to the fact the a factory EK makes garbage coffee and you will need to align it, buy new burrs and pre breaker....

Rytopa

#3: Post by Rytopa » Aug 10, 2019, 8:34 am

The EK43 is radically different from all aspect against the smart grinder pro, maybe you could share with us what is your brewing technique, beans etc etc.

I did not encounter any metallic taste with my EK43S, just a steep steep learning curve. :lol: :lol:

namelessone

#4: Post by namelessone » Aug 10, 2019, 12:25 pm

Never heard of EK43 making coffee metallic? Do you see actual metal pieces after you grind the coffee?

Almico
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Almico » Aug 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

The problem using commercial brew grinders for home use: They take about 2 years to break in.

bosiemoncrieff

#6: Post by bosiemoncrieff » Aug 10, 2019, 6:13 pm

I was doing a pour over with my kalita wave and using a Costa Rican single origin from Verve. Fellow Stagg EKG is my kettle. The dripper was metal yes but the taste was fine with my breville — the grinder was the only variable changed.

There was no visible change to the coffee. It was just the taste. And smell. It also smelled like metal.

I certainly hope it doesn't take two years.

winslette

#7: Post by winslette » Aug 10, 2019, 6:30 pm

I don't ever recall getting a metallic taste in mine. I did see a large amount of the lubricant on the back of rotating burr carrier and chamber. More than I would have expected seeing other people's EKs.

namelessone

#8: Post by namelessone » Aug 11, 2019, 2:44 pm

Maybe try putting some Grindz and/or rice through it?

bosiemoncrieff

#9: Post by bosiemoncrieff » Aug 11, 2019, 11:37 pm

Is plain white rice the best variety?

namelessone

#10: Post by namelessone » Aug 12, 2019, 6:06 am

I'm not sure - it might be best to ask Mahlkoening to make sure it doesn't void your warranty and such. I don't doubt something as powerful as the EK43 and the incredibly hard burrs will chew through any kind of rice/grain but you want to be careful with such expensive equipment.