Mahlkonig EK43 Alignment: Sanding the Chamber

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cebseb

#1: Post by cebseb »

The tools

Titus alignment tool
320 grit and masking tape (non-residue)

Before

After

1 chamber down, two more to go.

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

Hows the alignment with the gauge post sanding?

I did this with my Bunnzilla to seemingly positive effect, but I've no way to measure.

I held my sandpaper on with a spray adhesive as not to have any ununiformities caused by the tape. Then removing the residue with some adhesive remover between wheels of sandpaper and at the end.

Advertisement
cebseb (original poster)

#3: Post by cebseb (original poster) replying to CwD »

Before sanding, I had a 0.10mm deflection. After 2 hours of sanding, I'm down to a little over 0.01mm deflection.

I didn't have any spray adhesive on hand, so I made do with what I had. I'll stop by the store and pick some spray adhesive up from the store tomorrow morning.

cebseb (original poster)

#4: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

A small update.

Spray adhesive worked perfectly. It saved me the trouble of having to remount the sandpaper over and over again.

My friend ordered two sets of burrs from Hansung (SSP). One set of tungsten Ek43 burrs.

And one set of regular EG-1 burrs

I'll be mounting the EK43 burrs in a couple days for some testing.

coffeemmichael

#5: Post by coffeemmichael »

Eager to hear your findings, I want to push my EK to the limit!

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Nice work. Maybe a bit off-topic but can you let me know how the EG-1 burrs work out in regard to the stock burrs? I'm very interested.

CwD

#7: Post by CwD »

Damn! Someone beat me to being the first one with tungsten SSP EG-1 burrs! Mine are being made now. I'll still post my results with them, of course.

They do look so nice. And I imagine so nice to hold with the weight. Maybe not quite as visually stunning as the DLC burrs, , but a whole burr made of entirely tungsten is just unreal.

Glad to hear the spray adhesive worked! Really makes it an easy (but still time consuming) task imo.

Advertisement
cebseb (original poster)

#8: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Nice work. Maybe a bit off-topic but can you let me know how the EG-1 burrs work out in regard to the stock burrs? I'm very interested.
Thanks!

Here is my friend's first impression.

His palate is leagues more refined than mine.
He'll continue to do some testing, however it could be a while before he gets solid results since he only has 1 EG-1 on hand. Ha. I'll be doing some comparisons with the stock coffee burrs, tungsten ssp, and base ssp in a bit.

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

Thanks for the feedback. And there's the upgrade-itis coming back :mrgreen: . This timne it'll be much cheaper than the EG-1 itself.

CwD

#10: Post by CwD »

cebseb wrote:he only has 1 EG-1
I can't believe plebeians like this even exist.

:lol: but for real, only makes me more excited for my EG-1 SSP burrs to get here!

I'll mostly be using for espresso, but getting good brew results too is never a bad thing!