Mahlkonig E80s GWB stalling on light roast beans

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gabrielts

#1: Post by gabrielts »

Got this grinder a few days ago and zeroed calibrated, weight calibrated the gbw, and grind medium and dark roast ok. However when I use onyx light roast, intelligentsia, blue bottle or any light roast it can not grind fine enough and stalls even on a too coarse grind setting. I cleaned the burrs with vacuum but still stalls on light roasts. Is it defective, I'm doing something wrong or can be it be fixed?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Wilson

Sorry to hear you're having this disappointment with such a great grinder.

Have you reached out to your vendor?
What happens if you were to pour your beans into an empty hopper with a 'running start' just as a test?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

When you do speak with your vendor, mention the roasters. Though "light" within their respective lines, those all should be easily ground by your grinder.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

Agree with Jeff. A professional Mahlkonig shopgrinder should have no problems grinding all of these beans.

lagoon

#5: Post by lagoon »

Try running it in with a kilo of stale beans.

DentalBeans

#6: Post by DentalBeans »

Did you zero the burrs? Not just on the software but get them to their chirp point and then set that as your zero? Just went through this with my e65s (no stalling but had issues). Set the burrs at zero, reset the DDD, recalibrate weight.

gabrielts (original poster)

#7: Post by gabrielts (original poster) »

Yes I zeroed the burrs and they chirp faintly at zero Here is a look at the burrs

#8: Post by gabrielts (original poster) »

No more light roast beans on hand until they arrive this Friday. Will run it again to see if it stales. I threw about 2 lbs of stale dark roast beans in it today.

I was able to grind medium roast beans just fine now and choked the machine at 3 setting and hit an almost perfect shot at 4 ish near 0.06 mm

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you spoken to your vendor?
Do you have a way to measure current draw (ammeter)?
When you speak to your vendor, ask if the problem might be related to a defective motor capacitor.
If you own a DMM, you might be able to measure the capacitance value of the motor capacitor - with the grinder unplugged !
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#10: Post by gabrielts (original poster) »

I will contact vendor once my other shipment arrives and will video the grind with light roast beans. I think you are right in checking the amps and cap since the grinder is plugged into an outlet strip that is sharing power with a fridge, 2 machines, a puck press, puck cleaner tool and some ports for charging usb items. Will switch it to a separate outlet tomorrow and check amp draw. Need an outlet separator first.

How can I check the capacitor value?