Mahlkonig E65S not grinding fine enough

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ignacio.barista

#1: Post by Ignacio.barista »

Hi! I've had a new E65S for a little less than a year now and since day one I've had the issue that I have to only use it pretty much at 0 or close to the 0 marker (0 - 1) to get good results. My set up is an Appia II with 18gr VST baskets.

It's zeroed, and I've checked the alignment. Yes, it shows that it's a bit misaligned, but I wonder if misalignment of the burrs could really cause such a gross error.

I just want too see if there's anything else I can do before trying to align the burrs with aluminum foil, since with my ek I hadn't had any luck and it's an arduous process.

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

I'm not hands-on familiar with the e65, but if the internal adjustment is similar to the k30, you can make the range finer before putting the lid back on which should help you have more adjustment that works.

I too use vst baskets and had to do this in order to grind finer. My dial is usually between 1.5-3 now for most coffees.

dchooo

#3: Post by dchooo »

It boggles my mind that someone spends almost 1k on a grinder and they cant even make the drink they want.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

maxbmello wrote:I'm not hands-on familiar with the e65, but if the internal adjustment is similar to the k30, you can make the range finer before putting the lid back on which should help you have more adjustment that works.

I too use vst baskets and had to do this in order to grind finer. My dial is usually between 1.5-3 now for most coffees.
Totally agree with this answer as I've owned a K30 for several years and have done this before. With the K30 you can pull the top lid off and just rotate the upper burr mount towards the finer end and put the lid back on. Then your 0 is set to a more fine setting and you should be fine. And with those thread size it's pretty normal that your range is between 1-1,5 number.

looking at the parts list on page 4 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr9iug8s5a6at ... N.pdf?dl=0) it seems that you can do the same with the E65.
This is kind of how it works for a K30. Can be done much easier to just set it to 3 or 4, take the lid off, rotate the mount a bit towards the fine end and put the lid back on. Be sure to check by hand if the burrs aren't touching yet at that point. Then it's not set at zero for burr touching but that doesn't matter. Now you have changed the grind settings a couple of numbers towards the fine end.

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

dchooo wrote:It boggles my mind that someone spends almost 1k on a grinder and they cant even make the drink they want.
Because a lot of people just don't know what they're doing. And because of the risk of being sued. So instead of giving users the full range, which means they'll ruin the burrs/grinder at the finest setting, they set it on the safe side. This to avoid claims of users that are using it in a wrong way and ruining it. That's the way to keep your business alive and not get sued for mistakes that users make themselves but blame the company for. Luckily you can adjust it and you're fine.

For TS this means the burrs are broken in now and then the grind settings shifts a bit more towards the fine side and you'll have even less range. Normally a repair technician from MK will fix that when it's being serviced (yes it's meant as a commercial grinder with a yearly service contract). This is how it works with a lot of grinders.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Some opinions here are getting heated and disrespectful; I've removed the back and forth and put this thread on cooldown. Please review the guidelines: Guidelines for productive online discussion.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I've removed the Cooldown.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!