Mahlkonig E65S GBW - user experience - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#41: Post by Jonk »

Lead times for seemingly off the shelf parts from Mahlkönig have been quite long even here in Europe. I have been waiting for a gasket for months now.

Stevebcoffee

#42: Post by Stevebcoffee »

Does anyone know if this could be set up for 54mm portafilter with the three lugs (San Marco)?
Also if it can would you be able to use a 58mm as well or would it need to be adjusted for just one size at a time?

espressotime

#43: Post by espressotime replying to Stevebcoffee »

Don't know if the portafilterholder is different than on my K30. The portafilter of my Pompei doesn't work well on the K30. Won't stay locked in for handsfree grinding. On my Lambro portafilter there's no problem doing that.

mauijer

#44: Post by mauijer »

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but can anyone compare flavor clarity, mouthfeel etc of the Mahlkonig E65S with the Lagom P64, Niche, or the Baratza Vario?
I currently have the Baratza Vario-W and Sette-W because I love the grind by weight feature; which honestly, has been the major deterrent from upgrading to a higher end grinder. Been considering the Niche and more recently the P64 with HU burrs but if Mahlkonig were to announce a low retention home friendly version of this grinder i'd purchase without a pause. Obviously retention is important but not everything, so if someone could comment on flavor that would help make or break my curiosity: ie, if lagom and niche are better in the cup but E65s workflow is better i would be less likely to purchase.
Thank you,
Jeremy

Jonk

#45: Post by Jonk »

mauijer wrote:P64 with HU burrs
Those burrs are very similar to what you'll find in a E65. Not identical, but still pretty much a copy from SSP. You can also fit Pro-M burrs in an E65, which in turn are what SSP unimodal v1 burrs are based on.

If you're looking for a lower retention grinder with GBW, utilizing those kind of burrs, there's ZF64W - Automatic weighing grinder with zero retention and 64mm burrs and the upcoming Acaia Orbit.

JavaRanger

#46: Post by JavaRanger »

I bought a e65 GBW new from a local dealer in Austin Texas where I live. I choose to upgrade the burr set to the Red Speed burrs. I have about 6lbs of coffee through it so far. And...I LOVE IT!!! I'm coming off an all matte white k30 and have a Niche too. I'll provide some more comments when I finish break it, but I'm super excited so far!

JavaRanger

#47: Post by JavaRanger »

Anyone know if there is a way to deactivate the password requirement ?

Flannelsec

#48: Post by Flannelsec »

Just checking now that some people have had it for quite some time, if anyone can comment on retention? Looking at picking one of these up and want to see what the loss may be over the course of a bag.

BaristaBoy E61

#49: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to Flannelsec »

As someone that has done a lot of servicing and cleaning of a Mahlkonig K30 Vario that is quite similar to the E65S GBW, I fail to see how the accuracy, not of the weight but of the total dose, can be accurate in the E65S GBW as the exit and chute design retains a lot of ground coffee that can break off and be released at any time adding to the total dose, therefore be quite different from the programmed display indicator.

The attached pics are from the K30 Vario.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

freditoj

#50: Post by freditoj »

JavaRanger wrote:I bought a e65 GBW new from a local dealer in Austin Texas where I live. I choose to upgrade the burr set to the Red Speed burrs. I have about 6lbs of coffee through it so far. And...I LOVE IT!!! I'm coming off an all matte white k30 and have a Niche too. I'll provide some more comments when I finish break it, but I'm super excited so far!
Which dealer?

I'd like to see this beast in person before committing to buy.