Mahlkonig E65S GbW issue

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TWOBEANS

#1: Post by TWOBEANS »

** SOLVED **

Hi All,

Does anyone here know what is the password for e65gbW or even e65s assuming they are the same?

Grinder started acting up in the last few days and it gets stuck on green screen after finishing 18.5 gr dose, i.e. it doesn't revert back to black screen and the only way to get it out is off/on. I am hoping that calibrating the scales might fix the issue but the service screen, where this option should be is not showing it. I assume it's because you need password which is entered under "safety & password" screen. I had 100s of tries with usual suspects including K30 pw (0408), but no joy.

Any help much appreciated!

Many Thanks, Bobby

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by blondica73 »

I would reach out to the seller/Mahlkonig, they are your best resource, probably even the user manual.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Once you turn it 'OFF' & then back 'ON' is there a 'RESET' Mode in the Menu?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

TWOBEANS (original poster)

#4: Post by TWOBEANS (original poster) »

blondica73 wrote:I would reach out to the seller/Mahlkonig, they are your best resource, probably even the user manual.
Thanks. I did but as always they are reluctant to give it. Suggesting to book a return and all that. Eventually got it from engineer here in Ireland who got it from his peer in UK... you'd think professional coffee business should not have to go through loops to fix the the tools of trade after paying so much for equipment... SOLVED now.
BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Once you turn it 'OFF' & then back 'ON' is there a 'RESET' Mode in the Menu?
Unfortunately not, you need a password to log into 'full service' menu. Only then, can you calibrate, reset to factory setting and adjust hard coded tolerances per portafilter, etc....

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 »

TWOBEANS wrote:Thanks. I did but as always they are reluctant to give it. Suggesting to book a return and all that. Eventually got it from engineer here in Ireland who got it from his peer in UK... you'd think professional coffee business should not have to go through loops to fix the the tools of trade after paying so much for equipment... SOLVED now.

Unfortunately not, you need a password to log into 'full service' menu. Only then, can you calibrate, reset to factory setting and adjust hard coded tolerances per portafilter, etc....
Glad to hear you were able to get your grinder fixed. It's unfortunate that you had to go through so much trouble to do that with a commercial grinder. What's your assessment of the grinder's performance given the GBW?

TWOBEANS (original poster)

#6: Post by TWOBEANS (original poster) » replying to blondica73 »

The grinder is a game changer, +/- 0.1/0.2 grams every 10 or so portafilters, the rest its spot on 18.5g, (we spent 1 full week testing and weighing every portafilter).

We no longer use scales for the main hopper, but the biggest benefit of its consistency is in the fact that there is no longer need to adjust time variable to compensate for grind adjustments during the day. Ability to remove that one variable is "the game changer".

Having been a Mahlkonig user for 9 years in business, (2 xK30's and EK43 still going strong 6 years later), with a year stint with Mythos (current Guest grinder), I have to say the Mahlkonig is the only grinder we will ever use. I am sure Mythos will last, but if it ever dies we'll be getting e65s for guest coffees.... or if they ever make e80 gbW, that will be our main grinder!

BrandtStarck
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by BrandtStarck »

TWOBEANS wrote:The grinder is a game changer...
I was really hoping for something along the lines of "it's about equivalent to the K30."

Looks like they land in the US around April-May (per Chris' Coffee). I suppose it must be done. :roll:

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by blondica73 » replying to BrandtStarck »

Thinking of grabbing one too once it becomes available in the US.

graphidz

#9: Post by graphidz »

Having used the E65 and E80 series, everything from speed and performance (especially with the scale and disk distance thingy, even if it's probably not fully accurate) is really great.

However I really really hate adjusting the grind size on this. Even if adjusting is stepless which is ideal, the locking on it makes the grinder essentially has stepped adjustments. Sometimes when you have that grind size setting that you want, locking the adjustment ring just shifts the adjustment even up to two points (and the corresponding DDD measurement confirms the change too).

cccpu

#10: Post by cccpu »

graphidz wrote:However I really really hate adjusting the grind size on this. Even if adjusting is stepless which is ideal, the locking on it makes the grinder essentially has stepped adjustments. Sometimes when you have that grind size setting that you want, locking the adjustment ring just shifts the adjustment even up to two points (and the corresponding DDD measurement confirms the change too).
Oof. Can anyone else comment on this? I had eyes on this grinder, but something like stepping on a shop machine is a little bit concerning... :?
LMWDP #583