Mahlkonig E65S GbW issue - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BaristaBoy E61

#11: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

TWOBEANS wrote:The grinder is a game changer, +/- 0.1/0.2 grams every 10 or so portafilters, the rest its spot on 18.5g
That is too early to tell. While I do like the concept of the E65SGbW, I'll reserve judgement till it's been out in the wild for a couple of years before making that determination.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

TWOBEANS (original poster)

#12: Post by TWOBEANS (original poster) »

graphidz wrote:Having used the E65 and E80 series, everything from speed and performance (especially with the scale and disk distance thingy, even if it's probably not fully accurate) is really great.

However I really really hate adjusting the grind size on this. Even if adjusting is stepless which is ideal, the locking on it makes the grinder essentially has stepped adjustments. Sometimes when you have that grind size setting that you want, locking the adjustment ring just shifts the adjustment even up to two points (and the corresponding DDD measurement confirms the change too).
We found the same at the beginning. However locking mechanism is there only to stop people messing with it or accidentally being knocked. Solution is that you don't need to lock it, which is how we run with it now, left unlocked. No issues whatsoever...

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
graphidz

#13: Post by graphidz » replying to TWOBEANS »

I did try leaving it unlocked at the beginning but the grind size did move while grinding, at least as to what is reported by DDD. I'll give it a serious try next time.

I'd assume it doesn't move after a while of use due to wear or the grease has given away, hence increasing the friction and resistance from moving while grinding.

guziallo

#14: Post by guziallo »

Hi Bobby - I also have an E65S GbW and would like to access the service menu. Would like to check scale calibration and also reset the DDD 0 point as it is wrong now that I have adjusted the actual grinder zero point. Would you be able to share the password with me? Assuming its the same? I have run into the same issues getting it through official channels and am a bit annoyed by it tbh. That aside the grinder is amazing. I don't tend to lock the grind adjustment so haven't run into many issues with it wandering/jumping between steps.

cheers

Grace

SteveRhinehart

#15: Post by SteveRhinehart »

TWOBEANS wrote:We found the same at the beginning. However locking mechanism is there only to stop people messing with it or accidentally being knocked. Solution is that you don't need to lock it, which is how we run with it now, left unlocked. No issues whatsoever...
I have also never used the locking mechanism on an E65S. In fact my initial guess at its function (before the retail launch and before a manual was published) was to switch the operation from stepless to stepped, since the lock doesn't actually lock anything in place and the adjustment wheel could still be turned without excessive force. I've never seen the wheel slip when unlocked across multiple E65S grinders and I don't think that is intended. I would contact Mahlkonig about it if it persists.