Mahlgut MOLA-e preorders started - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thirdshifter

#21: Post by thirdshifter »

Just wanted to bump this to see if anybody's getting the MOLA-e. I'm surprised there's not more interest (especially since the price is so low -- under $2k with the burr coating -- given what it is and where it's produced) but I get that it's a largely unknown manufacturer (who had some problems rolling out their manual grinder). I'm also not at all interested in the battery option.......

But given the problems with Versalab (can't grind hard beans), the current unavailability of the EG-1, and the long wait (if you're lucky) for Monoliths -- is the MOLA-e about to be a valid single-dosing contender?-- and the only one (besides Versalab) you could actually acquire in the next month or two (they told me via email a month ago that they will begin shipping in May).

Single-dosing electric espresso grinders:
-Versalab (one-week lead time)
-EG-1 (currently unavailable)
-Monolith (unless you're on the list you'd be lucky to get one next year)
-Titus (no idea on lead time or availability)
-Mahlgut MOLA-e (available next month)
future:
-Ceado Hero
-Niche grinder (available in August)

I don't think I'm missing any. I can't imagine doing anything other than single-dosing, so the options were really limited (other than the Baratza grinders that excel at single-dosing even though the company will tell you not to do it). I'll be interested to see how the MOLA-e performs once a few folks have it on their counters!

pinky-and-me

#22: Post by pinky-and-me »

The base looks quite big and the hexagon shape takes up even more space.
Maybe if they sent out some grinders to people for review it would have been more popular but without some sort of a comparison with a known model it would be tough for me to risk $2k just to try it out.

erik82

#23: Post by erik82 »

You can't compare them as the MOLA-E has conical burrs and almost all the other grinder you mentioned have flat burrs. I wouldn't want a grinder with conical burrs anymore using light roasts exclusively.

I wouldn't want to take a bet on a manufacturer that had problems in the past and was out of business selling grinders for a very long time. Making tampers and distribution tools only doesn't count in my eyes if you're a grinder manufacturer. They promised a lot of upgrades for the MG1 but didn't keep there word on that. I gave up on them some years ago.

grog

#24: Post by grog »

Yep - I love my MG-1, and apparently got lucky with a well aligned one. But their non-existent customer service is pretty appalling. I can't see supporting other products from them, knowing how completely non communicative they are.
LMWDP #514

Tonefish

#25: Post by Tonefish replying to grog »

Agree that the MG-1 is an excellent grinder. Since then tho, I've tried to contact them and haven't heard a peep, so I also agree that their customer service is either lousy or non-existent.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

JackHK

#26: Post by JackHK »

thirdshifter wrote:
Single-dosing electric espresso grinders:
-Versalab (one-week lead time)
-EG-1 (currently unavailable)
-Monolith (unless you're on the list you'd be lucky to get one next year)
-Titus (no idea on lead time or availability)
-Mahlgut MOLA-e (available next month)
future:
-Ceado Hero
-Niche grinder (available in August)

I don't think I'm missing any. I can't imagine doing anything other than single-dosing,
How about the EK43 (Ek43 S titus)

thirdshifter

#27: Post by thirdshifter »

I was keeping it to grinders specifically designed for single-dosing (of which there are very few), not other grinders that happen to do OK at it (like the bulk grinder EK) or ones that have been modified to do it well (like Titus' EKs) but I take your point. I've pined after those modified EKs since Frank recently posted in Buy/Sell.

spressomon

#28: Post by spressomon »

grog wrote:Yep - I love my MG-1, and apparently got lucky with a well aligned one. But their non-existent customer service is pretty appalling. I can't see supporting other products from them, knowing how completely non communicative they are.
Same experience here with Mahlgut's customer disservice. They still owe me...
No Espresso = Depresso

JohnW

#29: Post by JohnW »

Does anyone know if the Mola-e has begun shipping?