Mahlgut MOLA-e preorders started - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
naruto

#11: Post by naruto »

Séb wrote:The opening to pour the beans seem really small? Is that the final version?
I have the same feeling. And yes, it is the final version. Though, seems a promising product but more expensive than I thought.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

arcus wrote:It definitely appears to be a viable alternative to the Monolith.
Only if they learned how to make things, Their lack of inspection of my Grist before shipping and in the end the fact it was not possible to align the the burrs meant they just got tired of trying to fix it and gave me back most of my money. I ended up with a Monolith, a grinder that just works and is inherently aligned correctly.

pj.walczak

#13: Post by pj.walczak »

I ended up with a Monolith
Because you are lucky and live in US. I think for US citizens the choice is obvious. Monolith.

But in Europe, I have to add 50% to the price of Monolith. So now the price goes very high... I was hoping to be in States next year, but this will not happen, so I decided to postpone my order for Flat till 2019. But I have Compak K10, I can wait.

But for someone living in Europe, looking for his first grinder, if this will be at least close to the quality of Monolith, this is good option. Because of the price, support, etc.
---

Pawel

spressomon

#14: Post by spressomon »

ira wrote:Only if they learned how to make things, Their lack of inspection of my Grist before shipping and in the end the fact it was not possible to align the the burrs meant they just got tired of trying to fix it and gave me back most of my money. I ended up with a Monolith, a grinder that just works and is inherently aligned correctly.
Ditto.
No Espresso = Depresso

malling

#15: Post by malling »

ira wrote:Only if they learned how to make things, Their lack of inspection of my Grist before shipping and in the end the fact it was not possible to align the the burrs meant they just got tired of trying to fix it and gave me back most of my money. I ended up with a Monolith, a grinder that just works and is inherently aligned correctly.
Mahlgut can't possibly manufacture a product that has a higher tolerance and those more imprecise alignment than Mazzer, Compak and Macap doser models that costs approximately the same.

Expecting it to be a new Monolith is quite frankly to much to ask for! The price difference between the two is quite substantial, especially for a European, and as most thing handmade or made the same way (Europe and states), the manufacturing coasts is going to be higher for the product made in Europe, due to more expensive labour force.

instantkamera

#16: Post by instantkamera »

Anyone (in Canada, preferably) looking to part with an MG-1 to help fund this guy should send me a PM ;)

ds

#17: Post by ds »

Interesting looks, but it seems like a small motor for conical burrs and from talking to my engineers that grind adjustment locking mechanism is the worst choice for things like this since it pushes burr to the side and throws off burr alignment every time you lock it in.

U2jewel (original poster)

#18: Post by U2jewel (original poster) replying to ds »

Good point about the locking mechanism. I wonder how the single bolt lock would hold up.
Looking at it optimistically, hopefully it's out of alignment when loose, and back in alignment when tightened! I guess it's one of those things we won't know for sure until a third party review comes out.

It is made of stainless steel, so hopefully hardness and rigidity shouldn't be too much of an issue with regard to flexing? From the outside, it looks rather hefty..

About the motor... There was a YouTube video showing how it coped well even with a light roast.

pj.walczak

#19: Post by pj.walczak »

And now we can see more details how the burrset is mounted, and how to disassembly for cleaning:

http://mahlgut-manufaktur.de/en/coffee-grinder-molae/
---

Pawel

jjmouse

#20: Post by jjmouse »

Any HB user have placed deposits for this grinder?

Was thinking to get monolith flat, but they have stopped taking preorder at this stage, there has still not much info for mola, it still looks gorgeous grinder to me.