Madebyknock: Knock Hausgrind

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Confirmation has been given, the good folks at Madebyknock are dispatching the goods on Monday, stateside to me. I've been eagerly awaiting getting back into a good portable hand grinder to take to work for my coffee away from home, since the colossal failure of the Commandante C40 mess. I switched to tea for the past few weeks or went without, but hopefully those days are soon behind me. I've realized that comparisons between those two won't even be possible since the Commandante can't be dialed in to any relevantly consistent grind.

I'm wondering who else is interested in getting a Knock Hausgrind? I think it will be well accepted into the home coffee enthusiasts repertoire. Obvious comparisons will no doubt soon be made between it and the Lido/Lido 2. My early bet is that it will come down to esthetic preferences, if you like the classical elegance of fine wood, the Knock Grinder, if you like the industrial modern clean esthetic, the Lido 2. It will be fun to test them both out side by side for ease of use, but I'm guessing the cup quality will be the same. I think the Hausgrind wins with the nicer knob for grip, and the Lido 2 will win with the interesting and fast working funnel design built in to the top, but otherwise the two might end up being rather similar.

Pictures to follow, fingers crossed it lands sometime around Thursday of next week! Very stoked.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I saw these on the forum and checked out his website. I like the looks of them and realize he may be sold out. I can't find a price anywhere. Can you enlighten me? :D

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Their Facebook page has a lot more information about the grinders than their site. I imagine that will change when they get caught up on production.

Prices vary depending on wood choice. Please don't quote me, since I didn't double check but their most expensive version is the cocobolo, which runs 150 Euros I think. The price drops down to the 120 or maybe below, from there.

I'm hoping these end up being the best thing to come out of Scotland since Caol Ila 1996 Moscatel

* Added, specs per their Facebook page: "- 25cm / <10" tall at the dial, 30cm at the top of the tote/knob. 55mm diameter, prices for this batch £120 beech, £130 walnut, £150 cocobolo. c42g capacity".

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

My beech model is being shipped on Mon., too. I'll be happy to compare it to the LIDO 1, and also to the LIDO 2 once that's available.

Oh, and here's a shot of the LIDO 1 and Hausgrind(s) side by side that Peter Kilpatrick posted:
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

getting back into a good portable hand grinder to take to work for my coffee away from home,
Although not all vintage hand grinders work well, some certainly do. Haven't you had any luck with these?

Of course I'm looking forward to a Knock grinder one day, but I know he's got his hands full right now. Looking forward to a first report here!

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I knew I could count on you for that :)

I don't want to try to wedge a lap grinder in my bag for work. I want something I can hold in my hand single handedly too. But I'm sure there's a few good ones out there. Yours that fared very well in the Titan project is proof enough for that.

I do have two old vintage grinders, but they're just decoration pieces. I've never really put them thru the paces.

bostonbuzz

#7: Post by bostonbuzz »

I think most people on this forum are waiting for the lido 2 with bated breath. For whatever reason, it's almost impossible for anyone beside orphan espresso to come out with a hand grinder that doesn't have obvious and disastrous design flaws for a reasonable price. I poked around online and couldn't find any information on the burr (but I can guess what it is) or bearing arrangement, nor adjustment either. The lido 2 is set up to be far more precisely aligned than the 1.

Especially given the Commandante and all the praising it got initially by folks who own cafes and roasting businesses (and apparently had no idea what they're talking about) I would be far more hesitant to say that the only difference between this and the Lido will be aesthetics. But then, maybe someone will link all the info that I couldn't find? :roll:
LMWDP #353

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Well, price is subjective but quality isn't.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

bostonbuzz wrote:I poked around online and couldn't find any information on the burr (but I can guess what it is) or bearing arrangement, nor adjustment either. The lido 2 is set up to be far more precisely aligned than the 1.
I've exchanged a number of emails with Peter @Knock over the past several months & have his permission to quote some of the details he sent me. According to Peter the grinder will use the very same burr set as Roscos and Lido 1 state they use(d)- & "the alignment will be done using a combination of the machined burr mount you have seen (Facebook page) and some laser cut steel braces that you haven't with bearings and custom bushings at both ends of the shaft." Adjustment is stepless & I believe you can see photos of the adjustment mechanism on his Facebook page.
LMWDP 267

Bodka Coffee

#10: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Thanks for the info.