MadeByKnock Aerspeed compact manual grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
autoexec

#1: Post by autoexec »

It's been 6 days since it was announced I'm surprised there's no thread for it here. I believe it has the same form factor of the Aergrind but with a different burr geometry (still an Italmill) which lacks the ideal resolution for espresso (but can go as fine as turkish grind). They also claim 20-25% faster grinding times from the new geometry which engages more bean per rotation increasing the throughput rate. I think it is also non-coated as seen from the pictures.

I'm mainly interested in the grind distribution of this as this is a new geometry and the increase of throughput as a bonus.

http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p50/Aerspeed.html

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I saw it but wasn't excited, frankly. I guess the price reduction will get it under that magical $100 USD mark if/when Prima ever gets it in stock and offers free shipping. I'd expect better coarse grind distribution more from tighter tolerances, of which there's no evidence relative to the Aergrind, than from some burr geometry tweak. I take it you don't have one yet, right?

p.s. I just checked the Coffee Forums UK site, and there's no chatter there about the Aerspeed either.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

autoexec (original poster)

#3: Post by autoexec (original poster) replying to jbviau »

I have the Aergrind but ordered the Aerspeed as soon as I posted this thread. :lol:

Should have it in the next weeks or so. I hope the burrs are geared towards a more unimodal grind distribution than the original ones. Although I have the impression that the burrs are just uncoated versions of the Aergrinds' and is reported to be faster because...well it's non-coated :lol: but of course I can only assume until I get my actual unit.

kruzilla

#4: Post by kruzilla »

I don't see what the bean capacity is on the website. What is it? Thanks!

vit

#5: Post by vit »

It looks like a shorter version of Feldgrind

I was using Feldgrind for about 2 years, replacing Lido 3 because of being much smaller, only marginally slower, having better adjustment mechanism and much less static. After I bough it, taste of espresso looked quite similar to me with blends I was using back then and doing shorter pulls. However, recently it turned out that it's not actually the case; most of the time I was noticing unpleasant bitter/ashy notes, after some more comparison with Lido it turned out it's because of the grinder, so using Lido again atm

I dismantled it a few days ago and there are 2 problems with this construction, at least one of them seems to be present here

- outer burr is fixed by one screw; although it wasn't very tight, it made the burr slightly oval for a fraction of millimeter, but enough to be causing inconsistency
- there is significant amount of radial play in bearings (say 0.2-0.4mm) in addition to axial play of the axle, so grinder is heavily relying on self centering by the coffee. However, due to the way how the handle is mounted, it's hard to crank it without pressing it a bit down to avoid flying the handle off, which seems to be constantly putting the inner burr off center

So while the grinds look ok, way better than from toys like Hario that I had before, result isn't as good as one would like it to be, it looks like there are too much fines. So before buying, I suggest trying to check it somewhere, at least if you plan to use it for espresso ...

Existing burrs look fine to me, at least for this price range, they look like new after grinding about 10kg of coffee, not sure that some other burrs would produce better result because of above

CathyWeeks

#6: Post by CathyWeeks »

autoexec wrote:I have the Aergrind but ordered the Aerspeed as soon as I posted this thread.
Have you received it? Can you comment on how well it works? Give a bit of a review?

CathyWeeks

#7: Post by CathyWeeks »

Holy Mackerel. I ordered the Aerspeed on Thursday of last week, it was shipped Friday, and I received it today (Tuesday). Edinburgh, Scotland to a Minneapolis suburb in 4 days. I can't believe how fast it got here.

autoexec (original poster)

#8: Post by autoexec (original poster) »

CathyWeeks wrote:Have you received it? Can you comment on how well it works? Give a bit of a review?
Sorry for the very late reply. The grind is surprisingly cleaner than its Aergrind sibling. It's almost as clean as a Comandante visually. The claimed faster throughput is not something I can vouch for which is quite odd since its name suggests that it's supposed to be fast (Aerspeed?). It's slower than the Aergrind, and it's possibly slower than a Comandante (C40 is even slower than the Aergrind). Anyway, slower grinding times doesn't bother me that much as long as the grind quality is on the cleaner side. It's actually nice to see some conical burrs that are somewhat geared towards filter! Even Kinu now has its new grinder (M47 Simplicity) that's supposedly equipped with "filter burrs" by default. Exciting times!

CathyWeeks

#9: Post by CathyWeeks »

So, I've been using it for 2 days, and it's definitely getting some really nice consistent grinds.

I can't compare it to an Aergrind as I don't have one, but this is what I've found comparing it to my Feld2:

1. It's definitely faster. I ground one Aeropress scoop worth of beans in each, set to about the same level of fineness, and I got about 130 revolutions in the Aerspeed vs 180-ish in the Feld2. (Settings were FG: 1.4, AS: 0.10, which produced very similar grounds).

2. The motion is not as smooth as with the Feld2, and the AS is louder. I wish the crank handle were a little longer on the AS.

3. I much prefer the knob on the Feld2.

4. Setting the coarseness is harder than on the F2. Hoping the AS will loosen up a bit over time - I expect that it will.

Definitely pretty happy with it. It's going to be an awesome travel grinder.

MoT

#10: Post by MoT »

Hi there, how is your experience after nearly two months? have you noticed any burr rub (burr misalignment) at all (might be lessen in yours by now as the burrs gradually get broken in but will never disappear)? In mine burrs rub from 0.1 up to 0.8. They rotate free with no rub at >0.8? Not quite sure if it's something concerning or just normal? I got it directly from MBK and only grind maybe 200 gr of beans so far assuming it gets better when burrs fully break in? any thoughts
thanks!