Macap M7D problem/jamming - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brughcoffee

Postby brughcoffee » Jan 11, 2019, 11:22 am

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I feel your pain @jeffdt I found this thread by searching "jamming issues Macap M7D".

I would periodically have issues with my Macap M7D jamming when I first got it, especially with lighter roasts. I was using a La Spaziale LUCCA A53, which has a 53mm portafilter. I recently upgraded to a Linea PB ABR for our shop, which has a 58mm portafilter. I received the new machine on Monday - hooked it up Tuesday. I have had non-stop jamming issues since then. I have used all of these coffees previously on this grinder and while I had periodic jamming issues they are non-stop now. I have tried cleaning the grinder with RINZA tabs.

I have to weigh out each shot individually and grind them one at a time. If I load the hopper it instantly jams within grinding three doses.

The only difference was my switch to a 58mm portafilter, which means I have to grind a little finer to hit the same parameters. So, I'm assuming that the motor is unable to grind fine enough for modern espresso. However, this now makes sense why I would have periods of it jamming more than others and now it jamming non-stop. Since the "solution" is to grind coarser I will be unable to use this grinder with my Linea PB and it now makes me hesitant to use it with my LUCCA in a catering setting. I have not replaced the burrs, but when I reached out to Clive about getting more they said I hadn't gone through near enough coffee to need new burrs.

Very frustrating situation - if anyone has any updates or suggestions I'm all ears. At this point, I'm now looking into upgrading my espresso grinder setup.

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » replying to brughcoffee » Jan 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

I am wondering if it might be the burr geometry that is making that particular model jam?
Just a thought ..

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Jan 11, 2019, 1:33 pm

Reading the thread I am amazed that no one has checked.

1. That the capacitors are not faulty, they may have had a bad batch

2. That the correct spec cap is installed, perhaps the factory made a mistake on a batch.

These grinders shouldn't jam and the comment I read that any grinder can jam if you grind fine enough is not true. Some grinders can jam when you go really fine, but they shouldn't (and certainly not a grinder like yours) that's just poor design and all grinders will jam if you tighten them up so much that the burrs jam together.

I have used plenty of different grinders and it definitely sounds like something is wrong with the grinder and not just a bad design.

jeffdt

Postby jeffdt » Jan 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

brughcoffee wrote:I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I feel your pain @jeffdt I found this thread by searching "jamming issues Macap M7D".

I would periodically have issues with my Macap M7D jamming when I first got it, especially with lighter roasts. I was using a La Spaziale LUCCA A53, which has a 53mm portafilter. I recently upgraded to a Linea PB ABR for our shop, which has a 58mm portafilter. I received the new machine on Monday - hooked it up Tuesday. I have had non-stop jamming issues since then. I have used all of these coffees previously on this grinder and while I had periodic jamming issues they are non-stop now. I have tried cleaning the grinder with RINZA tabs.

I have to weigh out each shot individually and grind them one at a time. If I load the hopper it instantly jams within grinding three doses.

The only difference was my switch to a 58mm portafilter, which means I have to grind a little finer to hit the same parameters. So, I'm assuming that the motor is unable to grind fine enough for modern espresso. However, this now makes sense why I would have periods of it jamming more than others and now it jamming non-stop. Since the "solution" is to grind coarser I will be unable to use this grinder with my Linea PB and it now makes me hesitant to use it with my LUCCA in a catering setting. I have not replaced the burrs, but when I reached out to Clive about getting more they said I hadn't gone through near enough coffee to need new burrs.

Very frustrating situation - if anyone has any updates or suggestions I'm all ears. At this point, I'm now looking into upgrading my espresso grinder setup.

I'm actually using the LUCCA A53 as well. I noticed something similar; it would jam ~90% of the time on a light-medium roast and probably 10% of the time on a darker roast. A 10% jamming rate may be usable at home, but not in a catering setting. So I'm stuck being unable to cater now as I can't afford a real grinder right now.

I contacted a local tech and he seemed interested in helping until I told him that I sent it back to Clive and they were unable to find a problem. I'm guessing he's thinking it's a factory defect and it would be a waste of his time to try to fix it. I don't know for sure.

To say that I'm disappointed in Clive Coffee over this whole thing is an understatement.

jeffdt

Postby jeffdt » Jan 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

DaveC wrote:Reading the thread I am amazed that no one has checked.

1. That the capacitors are not faulty, they may have had a bad batch

2. That the correct spec cap is installed, perhaps the factory made a mistake on a batch.

These grinders shouldn't jam and the comment I read that any grinder can jam if you grind fine enough is not true. Some grinders can jam when you go really fine, but they shouldn't (and certainly not a grinder like yours) that's just poor design and all grinders will jam if you tighten them up so much that the burrs jam together.

I have used plenty of different grinders and it definitely sounds like something is wrong with the grinder and not just a bad design.

At least one other person suggested the capacitor(s) may be bad, and it seems like a good possibility. I just don't have the equipment or knowledge to check!

DaveC

Postby DaveC » replying to jeffdt » Jan 12, 2019, 10:03 pm

I meant that you have not replaced it already...it's the next move you should make because the caps are cheap. I didn't mean to bother testing it.