Lyn Weber Workshops EG-1 User Experiences

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

This thread will better serve for folks to discuss the production model of this grinder that they're actually receiving, rather than tailing off of the test unit thread, which didn't contain all the same updates and premiums that the shipped unit has.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

sctsprin

#2: Post by sctsprin »

Following on from the home test thread

So it turns out the burrs were out of alignment, I followed the procedure on the website as suggested by Douglas, and all good now, quieter operation, the burrs zero point was around one full turn finer, and the resulting espresso much nicer too.

Whether it was a shipping bump or factory issue remains unknown, but it also probably explains the jam, as on close inspection there was a fair bit of vertical wobble.

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to sctsprin »

This is wonderful news!

One thing I like about the EG-1 is that you can align it yourself. I'm not sure if that option is available in the Monolith Flat - and some might say they would never need it if it comes factory aligned - but I think it's a very wonderful thing to have on the EG-1 in particular. My biggest reason for saying that is because of the burrs that are compatible with the system - the current R80 coated burrs, their soon-to-be-released custom set (which - from what TomC said awhile ago - will be the Tanzania set or similar), and potentially the Peak burrs (not 100% but when I asked Craig during the pre-launch he didn't see why you couldn't mount them). Since the burr mount is magnetic and screw compatible I feel like it can open up a world of possibilities in that regard, and I can't wait to get my hands on one (especially after all of the recent videos!).

SAB

#4: Post by SAB »

sctsprin wrote:Following on from the home test thread

So it turns out the burrs were out of alignment, I followed the procedure on the website as suggested by Douglas, and all good now, quieter operation, the burrs zero point was around one full turn finer, and the resulting espresso much nicer too.

Whether it was a shipping bump or factory issue remains unknown, but it also probably explains the jam, as on close inspection there was a fair bit of vertical wobble.
So happy for you that you were able to get it sorted. Would you post another video when you have a chance?

I hate that you had to align the burrs. At the same time, it's nice that you CAN align the burrs, easily and at home...

sctsprin

#5: Post by sctsprin »

heres a couple more videos,

one with the paper wipers installed and one without
the volume in the videos is way louder than reality
maybe something softer than paper is required for silent operation?

AssafL

#6: Post by AssafL »

sctsprin wrote:Following on from the home test thread

Be on the lookout - I don't know if it has thermal shutdown when it stalls (if it does you are mostly safe) - but keep in mind that aligned burrs require more torque than mis-aligned burrs (hence more amperes and higher wattage). I'd watch the thing for the first few dozen grinds - especially light roasts.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

sctsprin

#7: Post by sctsprin »

Ok thanks

sctsprin

#8: Post by sctsprin »

So I can confirm from the manufacturer that the grinder has current protection to prevent over heating or damage.
And the system senses when you hit a hard bean and increases the motor power to grind it, very clever

Coasty

#9: Post by Coasty »

Hi sctsprin, can I ask how you diagnosed misaligned burrs?

sctsprin

#10: Post by sctsprin »

I took the funnels off and listened to the sound as the motor ran, it was giving a pulsing uneven sound
then i took off the wipers and a lot of the rubbing sound went away, which makes sense, but a bit of an uneven sound was still there at different rpms
So i opened up the burrs and ran the motor and noticed what i thought was a slight wobble vertically of the bottom burr
I also closed the burrs down and could hear an uneven rubbing sound of the surfaces
I emailed the manufacturer and they said to do the burr re-alignment and it's way better now
I think i might give it another tweak when i get a chance but the coffee is much better now and it's a lot quieter
however theres still a tiny bit of uneven sound coming from the paper wipers, however that may not disappear entirely as i doubt the wiper or the funnels are round to within a few microns

cheers
james