Lyn Weber Workshops EG-1 User Experiences - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
erik82

Postby erik82 » Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 am

He doesn't use RDT, that's what he said. I will try to grind multiple roasts without RDT in a couple of months when my burrs are broken in a bit. The problem for me with RDT was that some beans got stuck to the inside of the grinder and didn't get through the burrs. Now using a Rocket Blower after everything is done and with the grinder still running you can hear the beans get dislodged and I only have 0.2gr of retention. That was a great improvement for me.

Static also seems to depend on the person. A couple of years ago I was at fransg his house and we both used his HG One with the same beans and he had much less static than me. I don't know how that works but it was something we noticed right away.

Chert

Postby Chert » Feb 25, 2018, 5:51 pm

What about wiper blades?

Are users changing them? How often? Are they even necessary?

I am just removing my second set after more than one year's use of the EG-1. Pretty shredded they are and I am not sure if I will replace.
Abolish single use plastics.

chipman

Postby chipman » Feb 25, 2018, 6:24 pm

I received an entire sheet of spare wipers when I got my EG-1. I've replaced them once since Oct. of 2016.

Chert

Postby Chert » Mar 02, 2018, 12:30 am

I can verify that it is helpful to have wipers in place. After 4 days, I notice a shot with 2 grams (!) retention. This evening, I checked the housing and found quite a lot of retained coffee. No wonder my extractions were a bit less predictable this week. New blade stickies going on now.

Is there a forum where this thing is discussed under commercial use? I think it's great, but I wonder if there are cafes sold on it like I am for my purpose.

chris_n

Postby chris_n » Mar 02, 2018, 12:35 am

there aren't many english-speaking shops that use this grinder. there are a handful of shops in japan and taiwan that i know of that used it within the last year though!

i'm patiently waiting for v2

erik82

Postby erik82 » Apr 04, 2018, 10:19 am

I've set the EG-1 at 400rpm the last week and it has a real positive effect on extractions. My pours are looking much better than at 600rpm and going higher just makes it worse. I do need to grind 1 notch coarser than with 600rpm. It does seem that low rpm's have a positive effect.

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Apr 04, 2018, 10:25 am

I saw one in use at a coffee shop in DeKalb Market Hall in Brooklyn, in connection with a ModBar (I think). Can't remember the name of the cafe, but the shot (of a light roasted Brazil) was excellent.

EDIT: I googled and think it was Nobletree Cafe?
LMWDP #435

SAB

Postby SAB » Jun 10, 2018, 5:01 pm

erik82 wrote:I've set the EG-1 at 400rpm the last week and it has a real positive effect on extractions. My pours are looking much better than at 600rpm and going higher just makes it worse. I do need to grind 1 notch coarser than with 600rpm. It does seem that low rpm's have a positive effect.

I agree, lower rpms are better, to a point. Mine lives at 450. I don't notice enough difference (in the cup) down at 300 rpm to be worth the slower pace and interruption to my workflow. The sweet spot is 400-450rpm for me.

Chert

Postby Chert » Jun 11, 2018, 12:57 am

When is the EG-1 crowd going to opt for SSP or other aftermarket burrsets? i picked up the pair that was sold on Buy/Sell, but haven't made the swap just yet. If any of the commercially used ones have seen heavy use, two years on they might need a new set, but LynWeber has none available, last I checked.

chris_n

Postby chris_n » replying to Chert » Jun 11, 2018, 1:01 am

lol what does LynWeber actually have available at all these days