Lyn Weber Workshops EG-1 User Experiences - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BeerCan

#181: Post by BeerCan »

uid0 wrote:1 year later -- is static still an issue, and is grind distribution still messy?
Late reply, sorry. I live in the Tampa area and static is a huge issue for me with this grinder. I am about to give up and sell it, I have tried almost everything I could think of to correct it. :cry:

dgia

#182: Post by dgia »

Funny thing about static. I'm about as new to this as one can be, but I learned something last week. Using Philz beans, I had very light static. Tried some Equator and my grinder made a huge mess.

I have an EG-1 on order, but am using something a bit more humble at the moment. Hoping I have more success with the EG-1.

Advertisement
chipman

#183: Post by chipman »

My opinion is that static is more about the weather and beans than it is the grinder. I've had my EG-1 for a year now. I haven't had to do RDT or WDT for awhile now. I grind directly into my portafilter with the funnel. I do use Denis's grooming tool and his levatamp (both excellent additions)

erik82

#184: Post by erik82 »

My EG-1 doesn't have more static then my other electrical grinders had (Mazzer Super Jolly doser, Eureka Olympus etc.). Handgrinders like the HG-1, Pharos, Lido and M47 do tend to have more static then electrical grinders. I normally have a lot of issues with this but the EG-1 with one spritz of RDT works great.

Static is indeed more about beans and weather then about the grinder. You can think that a GOD grinder has less static but there's just more grounds sticking in places when you cannot see it. Also new burrs give more static and with the coated EG-1 burrs it'll take around 50lbs to fully settle.

erik82

#185: Post by erik82 »

I borrowed a VST refractometer this weekend from a friend and did a couple of tests. I got an EY of 20.54% with an TDS of 6.97% with the EG-1 and the Strietman. I used 15gr of coffee getting 42gr of EKspresso in 27s including pre-infusion. A more traditional espresso (50% bew ratio and 40s including pre-infusion) gave me a 18% EY.

These tests where done with burrs that haven't seen more than 2lbs of coffee. So it looks like it can come close to the higher EY yields that and EK43 can do. I don't know if having a 49mm filterbasket and only 45gr of volume limits this but it did look good in terms of numbers. Just a fun test to do and it can probably do even better.

CwD

#186: Post by CwD »

I know I've taken it past 21% exty on <1.5:1 shots before, and I'm pretty sure past 22% when I was messing around with >2:1 shots. But I didn't record the >2:1 shots in my logbook, so I can't say for sure.

uid0

#187: Post by uid0 »

BeerCan wrote:Late reply, sorry. I live in the Tampa area and static is a huge issue for me with this grinder. I am about to give up and sell it, I have tried almost everything I could think of to correct it. :cry:
I bit the bullet and ordered one since my post. Static is definitely an issue for the med-dark beans my wife prefers. The lighter roast I have been using barely has any static. One trick I have noticed, perhaps not the best for freshness -- let the grinds sit in the shaker for a minute, as it seems the static dissipates quite a bit, before you transfer them to the portafilter.

Advertisement
erik82

#188: Post by erik82 »

CwD wrote:I know I've taken it past 21% exty on <1.5:1 shots before, and I'm pretty sure past 22% when I was messing around with >2:1 shots. But I didn't record the >2:1 shots in my logbook, so I can't say for sure.
I tested some more yesterday with very light roasted beans. 1:3 I could get 22% and didn't bother testing higher brew ratio's. I know this grinder can achieve to those high EY's. After 1,5 weeks of use I already really like this grinder.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#189: Post by mitch236 »

BeerCan wrote:Late reply, sorry. I live in the Tampa area and static is a huge issue for me with this grinder. I am about to give up and sell it, I have tried almost everything I could think of to correct it. :cry:
I wonder if static is grinder specific? I have the EG-1 and live in Delray Beach, FL and have no static issues at all. I've never had to use RDT or any other trick.

HBchris

#190: Post by HBchris replying to mitch236 »

I would be curious of this as well.
Do you tend to use lighter roasts exclusively? Without RDT what kind of retention are you seeing on average.
I think a video is in order :D just curious how the grinds look for u without any rdt