Lyn Weber Workshops EG-1 User Experiences - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#171: Post by TomC (original poster) »

CwD wrote:
Oh, and quick question for Tom! How are you liking the beta screwless burrs? Just thinking, if I get a set of these SSP burrs to try out if I'd want tungsten carbide with screw holes, or screwless coated regular steel...
I don't see a major benefit over traditional burrs mounted with screws. But screw mounted burrs will give me more confidence that they'll stay aligned.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

CwD

#172: Post by CwD »

Good point, I guess the holding pins might allow for a little more play than a tightened screw?

Shame it doesn't much matter, since they look so nice without the holes. Not like ya really see em except when putting em on anyway. But now I'm being steered toward these ridiculous tungsten carbide burrs! I could be the first American with an EG-1 to give an impression of them :lol:

Advertisement
HBchris

#173: Post by HBchris »

I would be curious if the screwless burrs had any difference (good or bad) in terms of: grind speed, retention, static, taste, consistency. Some of these aspects I think might change more just cause they are different burrs, rather than being screwless.
Also was any alignment change noted through use.

Are the the screwless burrs coated at all? and i wonder if they are testing more than one version before deciding which if any to go with.

ira
Team HB

#174: Post by ira »

Personally I would guess the biggest advantage is the screws holding the burrs on don't get stripped because people don't clean the coffee out and use the wrong screwdriver.

Ira

erik82

#175: Post by erik82 »

I recieved my EG-1 today and really like it (it's bigger then I expected). I owned a HG One for 4 years and Eureka Olympus with TiN Mythos burrs for 2 years before this. I missed singledosing with the Olympus but loved the taste of flat burrs. The HG One was great but conical burrs are just not right for me for espresso.

I was convinced that I wanted a Monolith flat but started looking into the EG-1. I really like light roasts and more and more do pourover. For this reason the EG-1 just seemed to be the right grinder for me. Build quality and the rail system works perfect. I already owned a blind shaker for 1,5 years but with the EG-1 it's even better. I'm one happy customer.

For now it's getting through the first 6 months of seasoning the burrs. I don't like using rice and will just use it as I would normally do and everything will be ok in te end. Here's a picture of my current setup.

Chert

#176: Post by Chert »

Beautilicious.
LMWDP #198

CwD

#177: Post by CwD »

Great pairing you have there, Erik!

And I'm not at all biased on this :wink:

Advertisement
erik82

#178: Post by erik82 »

I really love the combo. Tried the EG-1 for pourover today but damn those burrs give great taste. Much better than the Kinu M47. The reduction of fines and more unimodal grind gives a much cleaner taste. Where the Lido, Kinu etc start to get heavy at 3:00min and better to stay at around 2:30 the EG-1 is weaker at 2:30 and great at 3:00 without the downside of starting to taste heavy. It's exactly in line with what I hoped for.

I had some natural ethiopian for espresso which where great at 15gr with the Mythos burrs but not as good with 18gr. With the EG-1 it wasn't great at 15gr but the 18gr filterbasket gave great results. I'm glad I ordered 2 from Wouter two weeks ago. For me it's re-inventing espresso again with those bulkgrinder burrs. They do seem to work great once you get it right.

Just wait and see how much better it gets after 20kg of seasoning. Time will tell as I don't want to season it with rice and just let the beans and time/patience do it's work as it's intended to be. This also worked for me with the HG One (1 year before fully broken in) and Mythos burrs on the Olympus (6 months).

namelessone

#179: Post by namelessone »

erik82 wrote:I recieved my EG-1 today and really like it (it's bigger then I expected). I owned a HG One for 4 years and Eureka Olympus with TiN Mythos burrs for 2 years before this. I missed singledosing with the Olympus but loved the taste of flat burrs. The HG One was great but conical burrs are just not right for me for espresso.

I was convinced that I wanted a Monolith flat but started looking into the EG-1. I really like light roasts and more and more do pourover. For this reason the EG-1 just seemed to be the right grinder for me. Build quality and the rail system works perfect. I already owned a blind shaker for 1,5 years but with the EG-1 it's even better. I'm one happy customer.

For now it's getting through the first 6 months of seasoning the burrs. I don't like using rice and will just use it as I would normally do and everything will be ok in te end. Here's a picture of my current setup.

<image>
That looks great! how much did you have to pay including taxes and shipping to Netherlands?

erik82

#180: Post by erik82 »

Thank you. Taxes and customs here are 24% for the grinder price and shipping combined.