Lyn Weber Workshops EG-1 User Experiences - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
day

#11: Post by day »

I know you have all far outclassed me here but I have say, spending this kind of money only to end up never knowing burr alignment is correct or how off it is would make me furious. If it is possible to do it right one time, that seems like the obvious way to go. Anybody know what difference in construction allows Denis to supposedly lock it down tight, precise and permanent and if it in fact may one day come out of alignment as well?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

CoffeeBar

#12: Post by CoffeeBar »

day wrote:I know you have all far outclassed me here but I have say, spending this kind of money only to end up never knowing burr alignment is correct or how off it is would make me furious.
EG-1 Cost $3000++ and yet still have this alignment's problem?. :shock: :?: :?:

HBchris

#13: Post by HBchris »

day wrote:I know you have all far outclassed me here but I have say, spending this kind of money only to end up never knowing burr alignment is correct or how off it is would make me furious. If it is possible to do it right one time, that seems like the obvious way to go. Anybody know what difference in construction allows Denis to supposedly lock it down tight, precise and permanent and if it in fact may one day come out of alignment as well?

I was thinking the same thing! I guess as someone who has never done any sort of burr alignment, I would always be second guessing if i did it perfect.
With this grinder, I would have thought they would have made sure it had the absolute tightest perfectly aligned burrs before shipping.
Each unit extremely thoroughly inspected and tested (In this case there was even loud audible clues). As burr alignment and precision I thought was one of the main pillars of the grinder and selling points

keno

#14: Post by keno »

day wrote:I know you have all far outclassed me here but I have say, spending this kind of money only to end up never knowing burr alignment is correct or how off it is would make me furious.
+1, hopefully this isn't a problem for other EG-1 purchasers.
day wrote:If it is possible to do it right one time, that seems like the obvious way to go. Anybody know what difference in construction allows Denis to supposedly lock it down tight, precise and permanent and if it in fact may one day come out of alignment as well?
My guess would be US manufactured, more careful QC of machining tolerances (I read recently that Denis rejected some parts due to unsatisfactory tolerances), and thorough testing of ALL units post production.

MadBarista

#15: Post by MadBarista »

HBchris wrote: As burr alignment and precision I thought was one of the main pillars of the grinder and selling points
The selling point AFAIK was aesthethic and retention, never precision. Alignment wise, the marketed feature was you will be able to check its alignment easily and you can finger-align the burrs.

Bob_McBob

#16: Post by Bob_McBob »

Well I mean, their tagline is "precision barista tools"...
Chris

MadBarista

#17: Post by MadBarista »

Precision as in precise dose every time? :D

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#18: Post by mivanitsky »

Yes. Perhaps also precision alignment if one masters the technique. Time and experience will tell. This also begs the question, if excellent alignment is indeed predictably attainable, for how long will it be stable, or will there be a tendency to drift out of alignment. My HG-1 2014 was so difficult to align, that I had to send it in for alignment, but it has performed flawlessly since. So perhaps there is hope. No one has yet complained about retention, which did plague the prototype IIRC.

MadBarista

#19: Post by MadBarista »

Only if their manufacturing tolerance is up to par - hopefully it's okay. If there's wobble in the shaft or the burr mount surfaces are not flat/parallel, it can't be compensated with fingers. Do note that the alignment only applies for concentricity of the two burrs.

It is an interesting grinder still and would love to see more of it in action! :D

AssafL

#20: Post by AssafL »

Whoa - it isn't a big deal. It isn't even a deal...

These things fall out of adjustment as soon as you open them.
Burrs are not prefect.
Mating surfaces are not perfect.
And even if they were perfect a grinder is not a clean room environment.
It takes but one nearly microscopic grind strategically placed to cause alignment issues.

The fact that it is relatively easy to align is actually very good. Most of us have grinders where it is much more difficult to align (it takes me hours)...

What would be concerning is if the grinder could not be aligned due to extensive outrun. If alignment can't be achieved get an indicator (Tesa or Bestest or Interapid) to check radial and lateral outrun and if substantial ship it back...

A few thoughts:
1. SInce it is easy to align (screws etc.) my guess is that it also is a bit easier to get it out of alignment (since it is the same mechanism that allows one to align that also is responsible for making it stay put). If it loosens in shipment that is one thing; but if the screws loosen over time then may just need Loctite, etc.
2. A good way to check alignment is a bright light source behind the burr gap. If perfectly parallel - as the gap closes the light will narrow. If out of alignment the gap will narrow at one side only. I augment this test with a feeler gauge (A Sears Craftsman) to see it can be stuck into the gap around the burr with equal resistance. Lastly, I use an optivisor to check radial trueness.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.