Lyn Weber EG-1

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FoRDLaz

#1: Post by FoRDLaz »

I've been a long-time lurker and this is my first real post, but I thought I'd try and make it a good one.

I was caught in the madness that was the last Kafatek sale, desperately after a Monolith Flat Max but it wasn't to be. I then found one for sale on BST but that deal fell through. I was utterly despondent and frustrated, and the wait for the next Monolith run was too much for me to bare - added to that the possibility/probability that I would miss one again - so I decided to bite the bullet and get myself an EG-1 V2.

Well - all I can say is that I am so amazed and impressed with it on every level. From a design point of view as well as a build quality viewpoint it is outstanding. I got both burr sets with it but I'm currently using the core burrs.

I seasoned the burrs with about 4kg of old beans. There was a definite improvement in the fluffiness of the grinds as well as less static as the seasoning progressed. I'm grinding for espresso and am pulling the most incredible shots ever. The extraction is so much more even than with my previous grinder (Rocket Fausto) despite using the same techniques for distribution (WDT and OCD v2). The shots are so much brighter and smoother than before and the flavours are all enhanced in a positive way.

What has impressed me most is the absolutely minimal amount of retention.

I would like to post a vid to illustrate this but I'm not sure how - so here is a link to my instagram post where I posted the vid in a few parts (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this?). There was literally maybe 0.01g retention!! Unbelievable!!!

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

I have one of the original versions of the EG-1. I love it, and haven't had one second of buyers remorse. Congratulations and you made a great choice.

Advertisement
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Great choice. I also gave up on the Monolith after 3 missed runs and never looked back. The EG1 is a great grinder. I've got mine (V1) for over 2 years and still no sign of upgradeitis, this one is going to stay for a very long time. Only upgrade I did was going to the CORE burrs which made a big positive difference over the stock V1 burrs.

Denis

#4: Post by Denis »

I saw you are using the grinder at 750 rpm.

Use the grinder at highest rpm possible (1800), and drop the beans slowly in for better results.

As for espresso machine, you could pick up a flow control valve if you wanna keep the Rocket, or upgrade to something that allows you to make a drop.

FoRDLaz (original poster)

#5: Post by FoRDLaz (original poster) replying to Denis »

Thanks Denis.

I've been trying to work out what the difference is with slow and fast RPM's. I always figured the slower the better...

Could you outline some pros/cons of going faster or slower? What do you mean be "best results" - most consistent grind size? Better flavors?

I didn't even know that this was an option on my Rocket. Where do I find something like this?

I have been looking at upgrading my machine but my limiting factor is my wife who is getting harder and harder to convince as things involve more steps:processes. I'm worried that going to the next level of espresso machines will have her reverting to Nespresso!!

That been said I've been eye-banging the Dalla Corte Mina and the Decent DE1PRO...

RobindG

#6: Post by RobindG »

FoRDLaz wrote:That been said I've been eye-banging the Dalla Corte Mina and the Decent DE1PRO...
Mina on my bucket list!

JackHK

#7: Post by JackHK »

Denis wrote:I saw you are using the grinder at 750 rpm.

Use the grinder at highest rpm possible (1800), and drop the beans slowly in for better results.

As for espresso machine, you could pick up a flow control valve if you wanna keep the Rocket, or upgrade to something that allows you to make a drop.
600 rmp works better for me ;-)

I am also very happy for EG-1 v1, good choice

Advertisement
erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

500-600rpm works best for me too. Higher RPM only leads to lesser results as you are grinding towards speed instead of quality of grinds. There is lots of information to be found on grinder RPM and the main consensus among almost all users is that lower RPM gives better results.
★ Helpful

FoRDLaz (original poster)

#9: Post by FoRDLaz (original poster) »

The lower grind speed story totally makes sense to me too... thanks for corroborating my initial thoughts.

I guess as with everything in coffee there are a million different recipes and everyone has different tastes too.

I'm am so pleased with the EG-1.

Would highly recommend but understand it's on the top end of the budget for pretty much most of us.

Denis

#10: Post by Denis »

A more steady flow or an easier to pull shot means resistance in the puck, or finer particles inside.

Higher rpm brings a more uniform grind, if you are pulling with 1800rpm, and you see that the flow accelerates a lot in the second half, it means the grind is more even/uniform.

Espresso purists don't want this type of grind.

Read description, and there are other experiments online showing the same thing. The only problem with high speed is to not agglomerate the beans inside the burr chamber, that's why I told you to pour them slowly.

I pull at 2850 rpm, and its godly, the only problem with this is that if my profile is off by 1 hair, I get insane channeling.